• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

The Ford

Powerram

Was wheeling yesterday on the club run, sustained some damage, bent the box sides up a bit, pushed in the pass side door pretty good, got the drivers door as well, bent the front bumper a little bit, pass side door wouldn't open from the outside and the window fell down inside, also tore off the front flex line from the caliper, Tom had met me and brought a new flex line for me , so parking lot fix and braking was optimal again. I had kinda widened the trail with the truck, or maybe narrowed the truck to fit the trail. Not going to fix the box sides, where they have bent, seem to not contact as many things now, also bent the exhaust up a bit too, 

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Maybe I'm glad I didn't have mine in there!  I don't mind breaking stuff, but I hate bending sheet metal and popping windows.

It got a bit wider after I had gone through, the only spot I think would give you issues , but you might be able to go through, is through the mature trees, and the way they are staggered, but the trail was straight . 

Did some wheeling , got planted, the 38" tires are under there somewhere, prior to this iv been noticing a high rpm miss,(3000 and up) looks like its time for a tuneup, dist cap and rotor are in hard shape, also haven't checked the plugs or wires since iv installed this engine, also a possibility that the ignition box might be breaking down too, its roughly 30+ years old , has AMC emblem on it. Also installed new to me wheels on the 38" tires, now I have my small set for daily and plowing, and the big set for off road. 

IMG_20181125_151734.jpg

MmsPicture_20181121200451.jpeg

Did some repairs, had a front wheelbearing failing, parts warranty covered that, also caught a bad steering adjustment coupler/sleeve. Rusted too thin and was one pothole away from disaster. So installed new tierod, new tie rod end, and a new coupler/sleeve

MmsPicture_20181203003349.jpeg

4 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Yeah.  Could have been really bad.  And embarrassing to a mechanic! lol

Yep , would have been bad, that was the only steering piece transfered over during the swap, every thing else was replaced new, so now it all is 100% new for steering. I knew better too,  but also have been keeping a close eye on it.  The suspension is pretty well worn out on the rear too, rear spring sag , also the main leafs are starting to take the " s " shape. And the rear shocks are done. So the next couple if weeks , planning to grab the rear leaf packs out for f the superduty, and install on the red ford, should level it out again, the rear springs in the ford are the ones it came with new, in 1986 haha.

• 2 months later...

Retiring the ford from wheeling, and driving, Will be now a yard/Plow truck. I have a replacement truck, I'm going to wheel a bit more conservatively, hoping to refrain from body damage as much as possible.  Family is getting bigger, as in growing physically bigger, not as in adding family members, and the new rig should fit comfortably. And Chuck Norris Drives one. Iv picked up a Ramcharger. Here are some pics.

• 2 months later...

Archived