• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

The Ford

Powerram

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

My rear axle is from a HD 3/4 ton.  If I ever put the one from the 1 Ton under, it may be a slightly different width, and not require the spacers.  Or require thicker ones!  Don't know!

3/4 ton and srw 1 ton have the same width, drw pickup truck is wider wms, dually cc is narrower and g-van is the widest

The reason for the narrower track in the rear is to decrease turning radius

Rear driveshaft complete, painted and ready to run. Got the t-case seals installed on front output, and installed companion flange for front driveshaft, also measured for front driveshaft. Just have to pick up some oil for t-case now

IMG_20171021_173408.jpg

22 minutes ago, TomWood said:

Wicked!!! Must be nice to be behind the wheel again

Haha, it feels better to move it, still lotsa little things, next step is front shocks, have to measure what I'll need and figure out what brand will do.

• 3 weeks later...

New rear fuel tank is installed. What a $#!+  show that was. Just little things that are critical to function , but got it done. Glad I did it at work instead of the driveway. I built most of the truck in the driveway , but the last touches will be done in warmth on a hoist haha.

IMG_20171111_184253.jpg

11 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

I hate fuel tanks as well! 

Interesting body repairs required

Yep, getting hard to tell it was from Alberta lol, but she is still solid, just needs work along the edges.  the body is very dry and thin paint let's it rust fast. Going to get it undercoated as soon as I'm done working on it. Should have undercoated it when I brought it here, probably would have saved doing this lol

• 3 weeks later...

Updade!! Been driving it back and forth to work for a couple of days, still 2wd at the moment, have park brakes functional now, some new metal in the cab now, and a few places ya can't see has new material too,  new windshield is in, been working good, not perfect , but good. Drives fantastic!!!  Its fun to drive now, steers a lot better, handles bumps better, ended up getting skyjacker hydro 7000 shocks for the front, they handle the weight well, but not too harsh on the road , been purposely hitting bumps to monitor handling characteristics, and pleased with the results, can't wait for 4wD.

Screenshot_20171129-085116.png

Lol, so the truck is all good now for the next 2 years . put it to work yesterday helping haul some wood for a friend. Nothing more useless in the woods than a empty 4wd truck in 2wd. No trail or anything, just in the woods, my buddie got tractor hung up, so I drove in the woods to try and get in front of him but got stuck while doing so. We winched his tractor out with my truck and then towed the truck back out to the trail with the now freed tractor.

The truck drives great and handles the loads well. Its like a new truck going down the road. I like it a lot in its new form. Way better than before. Hopefully next spring I'll have the lockers in it making it as capable in the trails as before. Right now it is open diff's.

2 hours ago, Powerram said:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I scaled my truck last night ,empty box, two guys, one fuel tank half full, 2860KG,  6305 LBS

Identical to the Burb!  I've scaled it at Midland, and the Upper Rawdon DoT garage, either place, just drive on! 

• 2 weeks later...

More update, Dropped off front driveshaft to have shortened, should be ready Friday. Also tired of leaky cheap exhaust headers, every 2 years been changing headers because they are thin and rust out, tried painting them , it slows it down , but doesn't stop it, also thin flange for the primary tubes warps real bad, blows gasket out, so iv pulled the trigger on some not so cheap headers with 3/8" flange to head, thicker primary tubes, 14ga instead of 18ga. Has 1-1/2 primary tubes and are ceramic coated. Can't wait, cause leaky exhaust drives me nuts!!

I've had really good luck with my Hedman Headers.  Flanges never warped.  And although thin, the first set lasted over 10 yrs before rusting though.  I had the original receipt, and Cdn Tire sold me new ones at the old, lower price!

But I'd sure love ceramic coated ones.  But pricey...........

Archived