• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

The Ford

Powerram

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

So the new tires are 20" rim dia and are 44" unmounted tall, so im in. My general thought is the rim dia must be kept at half or less than the total tire diameter at minimum for wheeling, so im still good. Super excited

22 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

Beauty!! Joyel?

Yepp

22 hours ago, TomWood said:

Those are awesome!!! Gonna be sweet on that truck

Thanks Should look right at home on the beast. So iv scrubbed the nastiness from out of the inside of the tires from sitting in , the odd dead critter and layers of musty dirt. These tires arnt perfect , they will need a plug here and there but no worries. I had to do the same with my other set of xml tires

• 1 month later...

Ok. After a short break from trucks and wheeling the bug has hit me. I need to wheel and i have nothing to pick up heavy $#!+.  So i brought the ford up to the house. Last winter or early spring i blew the 9" rear end up. I threw a d60 ff into the truck to keep it mobile. The diff angle is all wrong, also no rear brakes hooked up. Im in a bind with nothing to drive at the moment so the choice is the van or fixup a truck. I need a truck. So going to fix up the ford. First on the list is to straighten up the front frame rails and reinstall the winch bumper. Next is remove the rearend and cut pearches off and make new ones. Then it will be onto rear brakes.  

So for lifting heavy $#!+ i dont have a cherry picker.

Solution to this is to install the holmes 440 wrecker into the box of the ford with a hyd worm drive winch. Going to see if i can salvage the pto and pump from the burnt wrecker. Pto is cast iron so it should be lying under there somewhere and the pump is steel and gear drive. Might have to put a seal or two into the pto.  Ill just pick up a valvebody from princess auto and make up some new lines and build a small tank and filter housing. This wrecker boom wont be used for towing, just for lifting and moving objects around the yard too akward or heavy to lift.

I have a plan for towing things.

Next order of business is to find Chevy d44 with 8 lug hubs so I can match up my wheels. Going to use the spindles out . can't swap knuckles on the ttb with solid axle 44 stuff and the 8 lug ford d44 spindles are 5 bolt so can't use my ford parts. Chevy has 6 bolt spindles and will bolt on to the ttb ford knuckle as it also has 6 bolt spindle. Just hope that the rcv shafts fit through the Chevy spindle. 

56 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

I would have so loved to see that Bronco on the road, tongue hanging emoji.

Good luck with the current plans!

Thanks

56 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Soooooo many rust free old rigs out here in Washington state.....

I bet there is

1 hour ago, sar4x4 said:

I would have so loved to see that Bronco on the road, tongue hanging emoji.

It would have been cool and was the plan but with my money maker being burnt I am now gonna rob some more parts from the bronco. It has a np205 transfer case so that will find its way into the f150. The current np208 is a bit hurting but functional at the moment.

Exhaust is finished,used the pipes and tips from the burnt truck, installed new mufflers. Sounds good. But the burnt smell from the  pipes I'm hoping will l go away. Smells like the burnt truck once it warms em up. Just need to get a coat of mud on em I guess haha

Oh my.  I guess there's a reason you're not putting the boom(s) in the Super Duty?  It looked good in pics but I remember you saying that it wasn't perfect.  

In any case, carry on and good luck!  I'm on vacay and trying not to plan my rigs.....

5 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Oh my.  I guess there's a reason you're not putting the boom(s) in the Super Duty?  It looked good in pics but I remember you saying that it wasn't perfect.  

Yep, far from perfect, the superduty used to be my rig rocket, it spits spark plugs out at random times, pretty rusty now. Looks good in pictures, but not worth fixing. Good parts truck

Archived