• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

09 Ram 1500 Build

Brunet-Hemi

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

Running gear is still stock for now.  3.92 gears.  

Computer would be happy without it, but I do have a tuner for the Speedo.  And a couple extra horses.  

Right on! The 3.92's will make a difference over the standard 3.21's. I've been doing some reading and the intertubes are indicating that the 3.92's will be "ok" up to a 37" tire (pushing it) and then anything beyond that should have a re-gear, re-axle, re-truck ... so I'm following this thread intently to see how you make out.

It's amazing how much misinformation is on the internet though - you read the gospel of the lift companies and depending on the company they say that a max of a 35" will fit with their 4" or 6" lift, max of 37" on the 6" for most. I was checking out this build by 4-wheel last night where they fit 37" tires on a stock truck simply by leveling the front and removing the front bumper for scrub radius clearance - no rubbing at full lock, bump, etc.

The 3.92 is the stock gearing.  It still drives down the highway without issue.  

If/when I re axle I'll prob go to 4.88s or something around there.  

The spot that rubs on these is the bumper.  Which isnt a problem for me.  Lol. There's tons of room everywhere else.  

This kit said you can't fit a 17" rim.  But obviously you can.  Lol

rubs your tube bumper... thats why they advertise that things wont fit. 90% of the truck lift kits go on street machines with stock bumpers. people get pretty happy when they make something work that shouldnt, customers get really upset when something doesnt work/fit thats advertised to work.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Picked up a parts truck today.  Body is totalled, but the engine runs and the interior is 90% good.  

Plan is to throw this motor and trans into my truck.  It only has 68000km and it's an 8 speed trans which has much better gearing that my current 5 speed.   

I'll have to basically re wire the truck to do this but at least I'll have a complete harness to do it.  And I'll get a few upgrades like fancier gauges and a touch screen with backup camera :) oh and heated leather seats.  

Then I can refresh the one out of my truck and I'll have all the extra parts I need to put it in Jessy's jeep.   

Oh and I'll be selling off all the parts I don't need so if anybody wants some 20" rims or any other ram parts let me know.  

20180330_134552.jpg

20180330_134557.jpg

Archived