• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

09 Ram 1500 Build

Brunet-Hemi

so this weekend i decided to do a little work on the truck since i cant wheel it until i get my CV :( should be this week!!! :D

removed the rest of the Bench seat in the back, discover (with my nose, lol) that at some point something was spilled back there and got moldy, so i tore out the carpet too.

THERE'S SO MUCH ROOM FOR ACTIVITIES!!!!!!!!!!!! and my eventual storage system/ bed thing I'm going to make.

also drilled the holes for the 4 extra bolts on my bumper ( 4 per side now instead of 2) and picked up some nuts for the bolts that i had.

attempted to find a way to raise the winch higher and out of the way but not quite enough room,then Robbi suggested upside down. GREAT IDEA!!! why didn't i think of that? but sadly still doesn't really work. after some himming and hawwing, and a lot of staring at the front of the truck, I decided **** it, ill just weld her to frame, havnt actually done it yet but the existing angle iron on the plate fits nice and snug against the little horn coming down for the tow hooks,

this brings me too the last thing which was removal of the tow hooks and started fabbing some shackle mounts, that will be welded to the new bumper.

what i started with and what i ended with,only have one made for now, prob do the other one sometime this week and get them welded on for the weekend.

post-1056-0-40637000-1433109272_thumb.jp

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Iv been thinking.... About your axles....we need to sacrifice one for an expirement. What if we cut the shaft, extended it, and sleeved it. I think it would hold up and it wouldn't pull apart under extension like they do now. Just have to make sure it doesn't bottom out on compression..... ....

We been talking about that too. But the severe angle already is a problem and spacers will make it worse. The other issue is we can't seem to find any off the shelf spacers and I don't think he wanted to do a set at a machine shop last we talked about it.

looked into it, spacers wont work with how its designed, i have thought about extending the shaft on one to see if that would work also.

on the other hand though the axle i bought does have a lifetime warranty so its really just a matter of keeping a spare with me for now so i can drive home,.....untill i can afford RCVs.

in a few paychecks once i have some extra money ill prob try the extension Matt mentioned. (i know the extension is free but i don't have an axle to do it on)

Woah, iv been forcing spacers onto ya and it won't work. Your CV shafts snap in like a dodge neon. I thought they had a flange like older trucks and SUV's. Now we definitely gotta stretch one...

• 2 weeks later...

A little late to update, a few weeks ago I tapped into the winch control box and added a switch in the dash for it. also intstalled a new switch for my compressor too. the old one worked fine but its just cooler in the dash lol ;)post-1056-0-53929800-1437586172_thumb.jppost-1056-0-46096700-1437586249_thumb.jppost-1056-0-62340300-1437586308_thumb.jppost-1056-0-34000500-1437586322_thumb.jp

Dash looks good, but exposed scotch locks. Wires will corode pretty fast. If I'm doing external wire repairs I usually solder and shrinktube with good quality tube, the ones that have the ooze , good for doing 3 wire connections. I believe there is also a weather proof scotch lock available for connections in the elements.

i was going to solder them but my iron is a piece of ****, its good for electronics but doesnt get hot enough for anything substantial, ill run this for now and when she goes (i know she will) ill do it right with a proper iron. i can still use the old controller too so i do have a backup.

• 1 year later...

I like the extra room between the frame that the body lift gives and the extra room it gives for working on the truck. makes spark plugs 1000 times easier. I thought about droppping to a 1.5" body instead of the 3" but its not really worth it just for the 1.5" of head clearance. plus I plan on running 40s. (and will be carrying spare axles of course ;) lol)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

(moved this to the proper thread)

So I finally opened up my lift kit boxes! :) I am very pleased with beefyness of the components. this was definitely money well spent.  just waiting for a few more pieces to show up before I start installing. 

I also pulled out the new steering knuckle to see why they say I can't use 17" rims ( 18" minimum apparently).  took a few measurements and i think they should just fit with 3.5 inch of backspacing. if not the the spot that would rub is quite beefy and I can massage it slightly till they clear. 

BTW 3.5" backspacing is hard to find. I found a couple on Summit Racing's website, but can't find anything from a Canadian supplier.  

here's a link to what I found - https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/usw-046-8955/overview/

If anybody knows of a dealer for these or anywhere that might have 3.5" backspacing available that would be awesome :)

Archived