• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

lost my dog

e36m3

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Sam for the help.

I left a blanket yesterday where we last saw him at the camp along with some food. I also scattered piles of food where I saw his last fresh prints the other day.

What we think is he might have left the area. I'll keep looking for him. I think if we find him, its gonna be because someones sees him somewhere. He could've covered lots of ground in 2 1/2 days

No luck again today. Funny thing is I saw coyote tracks chasing a rabbit, and then I found a different set of tracks. They were tracks from a lynx or bobcat. Dont know who was chasing who hahaha, would've love to see that going on

Any more news John? We were busy tonight with search and rescue training but I could definitely help search tomorrow night if you are heading back out. Robbi may or may not be working but I'm sure he can help too if he's home. There's still hope - a dog who was lost/outside for 12 days on the other side of the HRM was reunited with its family yesterday!!

Any luck with the food you put out (leading to tracks to follow him by)?

I think I have seen more recent tracks from duff last night. A lady said she saw fresh dog tracks near the river that she marked with a big x on the ground.

They were coyote tracks but I started following them just for fun. I ended up on the bush ans found much larger tracks that date to just before we got snow Monday night heading down the river toward Myra road. So I left a bunch of food and some pieces of an old moving blanket on the trail to see if he will come out and walk across the logging road and make fresh tracks

Someone gave me a call today saying they think they found newer tracks from my dog. I went to check it out and I'm 100% sure its him. Its nice cause he made his way back to the camp and found the main road. His trail then disappears in the bush. The tracks are about a day old max. I put a transport kennel there with an old sleeping bag he slept on and some food in it. Hopefully he sticks around the cabin area and we get him back this weekend

Do any shelters or places loan out live traps? That would be ideal if you could find one.

X2 if he is hanging around the area then he is not going to be found by locals around houses, might be best to trap him honestly.

Thanks Sam! I am pretty involved in animal rescue locally and have lotsa connections ;) Robbi and I foster dogs all the time!

I have been speaking to some other rescue ladies around here (there is a post your wife is following in the PL yardsale site on fb Jon) and they are willing to round up some volunteers to set out on a wide search, and potentially supply a large trap. This will probably be tomorrow though I have no confirmed time yet.

Would anyone in this club be interested in helping as well? The more feet on the ground the better, and I know you are all the rugged type ;) haha.

Let me know and I will try to liase between this group and the other where I can because I'm sure you have enough to worry about as it is, Jon! Is there a time tomorrow that works best for you??

I am checking with Deborah, we'd likely be able to help if there is an informal dog-search tomorrow. Emily - I notice Jon's posts are usually very early in the morning, presumably before going to work, so we may not hear from him until later today.

There is a cabin/camp near there that is well occupied, doing some logging recently, etc and I'd be willing to try to touch base with the owner. I think he'd like to remain incognito, I won't post anymore on it.

Okay folks! I have some details. We will be meeting at 10 am at the loop at the end of the Myra Rd. (Where the pavement ends.) When you get there, ask for Kim. She will give you some instructions.

There will be a sign in sheet - please be sure you sign in and sign out when you leave. It is important that we are all accounted for, especially those who might be going into the deeper woods. We want to make sure that we won't be getting any SAR calls afterward! :P

Please be prepared for the weather and potentially lots of walking. There will be a kind of "home base" set up at the camp where you can go and warm up, and Kim is bringing some bottled water. Bring your own snacks :)

If you have a leash, bring it along. If not, I have lots of extras. Also, a pocket full of treats never hurts but I will try to bring some of those to share as well.

If you need any more info, please let me know. My cell is 902-440-7131.

Thanks guys! How amazing would it be if Jon could bring Duff home tomorrow thanks to our help?! :D

Archived