• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

lost my dog

e36m3

i lost my puppy Duff yesterday morning in the woods at the end of myra road in porters lake. there is an old wooden camp by the river and thats where he took off. im pretty sure he headed north west and that means might have come across quad trails or logging roads. i'm offering a reward to whoever finds me info leading to him or finds my puppy. we can be reached at 902-877-3932 or 902-877-3962. he's a irish wolfhound / st bernard mix, he's 5 months old and weighs 70 pounds and his color is bringed with a bit of white

post-878-0-28610600-1420997920_thumb.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Emily and I went down to the end of Myra Road and spoke with a few people without any luck. We ran into John as well. We spoke to the home owner at the very end of the road since Emily is good friends with their son. if he comes out from the woods they will try to get him and get in contact with us. Paws crossed he is found asap.

So far no luck. I hiked and bushwhacked over 15 km today. I should be off early tomorrow so I'll go again. I dropped a trail of food so hopefully he finds it.

Its nice to see that so many people are willing to help. There is even a lady that printed posters for us and put them in a bunch of spots in porters lake

I'm heading back out in about 20 minutes, someone messaged us and she said she heard a puppy bark once and whine in the distance near where my truck was parked was parked this weekend. I hate bushwacking at night but I wanna find him

At least there's people that know that I'm going in that area. I have a hiking pak full of survival goodies in case I injure myself. I kinda great out with those things but I spend too much time in the bush not to worry about that stuff

Thanks Emily.

I couldn't get off work early today so I'll go tonight again bushwacking. Hopefully I see tracks because I left him a bunch of food last night in the woods.

I'm bringing my Coleman stove with bacon and sausage so the smell might make him come back

Figured you guys would be good to notify, me and Jon are going out tonight for a search, ill check in late tonight when the search has ended, at the absolute latest I will check in no later than 8:00 am tomorrow morning on here.

Please check in tomorrow morning! Otherwise Emily, Robbi, myself and other ground-pounders will have to come looking for you!

The dividing line between the Halifax Ground Search team and the Eastern Shore team is Porters Lake! :biggthumpup:

James, i wish i could bring roxy with us but she has really bad hips. saturday i searched for duff with her so she hiked and bushwacked maybe 4-5 km and again yesterday and she could barely walk last night. we had to help her get up...

youre right though, she knew those were duff's tracks in the middle of nowhere, she got all excited and was smelling everywhere

Sorry to hear about your dog; I've been there before and, hopefully will never have to go there again.

A few things I've learned when it happened to us.

1) Don't shower or bath the days you search; your scent carries further when not covered in soap & perfumes

2) If you can't take another dog/pet; wrap that dog/pet's blanket around you while you search (additional familiar scent).

3) Bring a dog whistle. If within range, a scared/lost dog will "tend" to investigate the noise and with the above, he/she will investigate further. The dog whistle carries further than the scent of familiar items.

4) Keep food at the last point you made contact along with the other dog's blanket or toy. It will keep the lost/stray dog closer.

I feel for you at this time and know what it is like to lose a dog overnight and for 2 days. Hoping you find him soon. If I were closer, I'd be there to help...

Archived