• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Lincoln lock

ram5.9

I have a cheap one and I'm not very "experienced" with it. I'm thinking you would require a larger welder and it would be nice to get someone who has successfully done it before. But who knows what will happen? Just a feeler for right.

I've read aobut welding the spider gears solid, and also just welding some bead on them so there is some 'play'. In either case, I wouldn't even weld a rear axle ever to be used on the street. Or especially on ice or side slopes! You won't like it!

I've read aobut welding the spider gears solid, and also just welding some bead on them so there is some 'play'. In either case, I wouldn't even weld a rear axle ever to be used on the street. Or especially on ice or side slopes! You won't like it!

Welding the rear diff is no different than having a factory LSD on slippery terrain; It's in dry/high traction that the problems arise (inside wheel hop/chirping).

For the front; you'll grenade axles, diff's and other components on high traction surfaces.

Make sure it looks just like this :P

diff-fail.jpg

DO NOT do this for your front end. You will destroy front end parts even before you make it to the trail!

I didn't notice your comment about the front end, I was too busy laughing at your pic. I'm not planning on locking the front like that just the rear. I have two open carriers, one is for a friend. The long term plan was to spool the rear but I have heard that my dana 60-30 spline axle shafts will no hold up. So my plan is to weld the rear and see how they hold up.

Welding the rear diff is no different than having a factory LSD on slippery terrain; It's in dry/high traction that the problems arise (inside wheel hop/chirping).

LSD and fully locked are quite different. However, my comment about using a locker in slippery terrain wasn't full explained. The worse case is having a locked differential on a side slope. (One side of the vehicle lower than the other.) With both wheels turning on said axle, you loose all lateral traction and that axle will slide sideways down the hill. And I've been there! The second scenario I can think about is turning on a slippery surface. Often you might find a 4x4 vehicle wants to go straight on slippery surfaces. Partly to do with you are driving the front axle the same amount of turns as the rear axle, yet you want it to travel a further distance around a curve. And also the front wheels just can't get enough bite! Throw a locker in the rear end, and worse yet also one in the front end, and you can't turn at all! That is why the 4x4 forums and mags often talk about having twin shifters on transfer cases. Instead of trying to turn sharp in 4x4, you just use FWD only! It will turn then! Or, you sometimes have to take any out of 4x4 to turn!

For the front; you'll grenade axles, diff's and other components on high traction surfaces.

LSD and fully locked are quite different. However, my comment about using a locker in slippery terrain wasn't full explained. The worse case is having a locked differential on a side slope. (One side of the vehicle lower than the other.) With both wheels turning on said axle, you loose all lateral traction and that axle will slide sideways down the hill. And I've been there! The second scenario I can think about is turning on a slippery surface. Often you might find a 4x4 vehicle wants to go straight on slippery surfaces. Partly to do with you are driving the front axle the same amount of turns as the rear axle, yet you want it to travel a further distance around a curve. And also the front wheels just can't get enough bite! Throw a locker in the rear end, and worse yet also one in the front end, and you can't turn at all! That is why the 4x4 forums and mags often talk about having twin shifters on transfer cases. Instead of trying to turn sharp in 4x4, you just use FWD only! It will turn then! Or, you sometimes have to take it out of 4x4 to turn!

LSD will still allow the outside wheel to turn faster than than the inside wheel. Full lock will not. I suspect that they would act VERY differently on a slippery surface. Perhaps not in certain cases, such as power applies in a straight line, but I would be worried about turning the corner!

LSD will still allow the outside wheel to turn faster than than the inside wheel. Full lock will not. I suspect that they would act VERY differently on a slippery surface. Perhaps not in certain cases, such as power applies in a straight line, but I would be worried about turning the corner!

If I put the skinny pedal down in the dirt with my LSD I get 2 lines

I also chirp on corners too

I would prefer a locker tho ;)

LSD and fully locked are quite different. However, my comment about using a locker in slippery terrain wasn't full explained. The worse case is having a locked differential on a side slope. (One side of the vehicle lower than the other.) With both wheels turning on said axle, you loose all lateral traction and that axle will slide sideways down the hill. And I've been there! The second scenario I can think about is turning on a slippery surface. Often you might find a 4x4 vehicle wants to go straight on slippery surfaces. Partly to do with you are driving the front axle the same amount of turns as the rear axle, yet you want it to travel a further distance around a curve. And also the front wheels just can't get enough bite! Throw a locker in the rear end, and worse yet also one in the front end, and you can't turn at all! That is why the 4x4 forums and mags often talk about having twin shifters on transfer cases. Instead of trying to turn sharp in 4x4, you just use FWD only! It will turn then! Or, you sometimes have to take any out of 4x4 to turn!

from what I've read these Nissan LSDs tend to wear out their friction plates. I wouldn't surprise me if there was a whole mess in mine given the amount of water that was in it for who knows how long :)

There are a lot of variables here so I'll explain further.

Yes.. a fully locked rear end will create potential issues on the trial when off camber.

The "break away" torque of most LSD rear ends will cause the same problem as above, especially in low traction environments; depending on the break-away torque.

This info is coming from a person (me) who owned a factory equipped LSD with both OEM and modified friction plates (went from 80ft/lb to 160ft/lb). In both OEM & modified set-ups, the arse end of the Pathy would slide freely in ice & snow. The major difference was on the trail in "hard traction" situations.

I learned this quickly back in the early 90"s when I put a LSD into my Shelby Charger; It was Awesome in the summer (wet road corners aside", but I removed it only 20-30 days after the snow fell. Memory shot of one of my favorite rides of all times! With LSD in the front, in the snow & ice you needed the e-brake to make a slight corner. The "break-away" was only 55 ft/lbs!

7279530027_large.jpg

LSD in the front are known to create understeer though.

i had a modified LSD in my M3 and i loved it. it would kick in when the wheels only had a 30% difference in speed, so pretty much everyt time i was turning. i remember scaring a lot of people with that setup haha

and Truxterra, yes a front LSD doesnt help turning, but i m pretty sure you had no problem getting going in the snow. a lot better than having just one wheel spinning and looking like a retard cause the car pulls to one side :P

LSD in the front are known to create understeer though.

i had a modified LSD in my M3 and i loved it. it would kick in when the wheels only had a 30% difference in speed, so pretty much everyt time i was turning. i remember scaring a lot of people with that setup haha

and Truxterra, yes a front LSD doesnt help turning, but i m pretty sure you had no problem getting going in the snow. a lot better than having just one wheel spinning and looking like a retard cause the car pulls to one side :P

Yes to pulling away from a stop sign, no when trying to take a turn in snow and almost hitting the curb & a light pole. In 3" of snow & taking a turn the front would plow...

Archived