• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Thank You for: Search and Rescue needs help Saturday aft/eve

sar4x4

Hi Folks:

I don’t normally like to crossover one activity with another or abuse my friends here but I have an ‘ask’ and a ‘reward’.

Halifax Regional Search and Rescue (HRSAR) (all volunteer and largely self fund raising) has become over-extended this weekend and requires volunteers to help at the ‘Fall Boat and RV’ show at Exhibition Park. The need is greatest helping as Parking Lot attendants late Saturday afternoon and early evening. The shift is 4:30 to 7, a maximum of 6 folks required (4 at least!), and currently no spots are filled. (It is a fund raiser and awareness raiser for HRSAR.)

The reward is good. 1) A chance to win a $100 PFD. 2) Free entrance to the show at any other time than your shift. 3) You are a good Samaritan. 4) A free T-shirt.

And lastly, but importantly. I’ve had more than one person in the club indicate a desire that if the Search team every required a series of 4x4 vehicles to help out at an emergency or other event, they’d be willing. Well, what better way to become known to the Search team than to help out before hand! We all know the Jeep club has the ‘SWAT’ team, well, maybe Backcountry will be asked to help one day. However, I cannot speak for the Search team, nor the Backcountry club, but I will say the Search team was asked and supplied personal 4x4 vehicles during the Blizzard of 2004! And if you use personal equipment during a ‘Civil Emergency Response’ for the provincial or municipal Emergency Measures/Management Office, you are covered for certain items like fuel and Workers Comp. And great PR.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, I’d take names for Saturday night, and if we go as a club (with the exec’s approval) maybe we’d line the vehicles up in one spot and show the colours, and maybe go to ‘Timmies’ afterwards.

Oh yes, the event supplies High-Visibility vests for safety reasons.

Thanks for your consideration!

So far:

1) Myself

2) JKWhoo (I'm bad with names!)

Tentative:

3) James

4) Tom

So I will confirm that Backcountry is filling the Saturday suppertime spot and hopefully we get a few more folks!

I've also asked Scott to post up on the Home Page our help at the Lookoff Rally and this event. For new viewers to the site that don't delve deep into the Forums it will show our community involvement!

Good response so far, and the post is less than 24 hours old. Hopefully, a couple more positive replies!

Hey, while we're over that way, maybe we'll get to check the access to Bump 'N Grind! Or - oh my - a night run at Bump 'N Grind after the Ex!

So far:

1) Myself

2) JKWhoo (I'm bad with names!)

Tentative:

3) James

4) Tom

So I will confirm that Backcountry is filling the Saturday suppertime spot and hopefully we get a few more folks!

I've also asked Scott to post up on the Home Page our help at the Lookoff Rally and this event. For new viewers to the site that don't delve deep into the Forums it will show our community involvement!

Tyler, the guy who smashed a brand new JK is how most people recall me lol.

So any instructions for when we get there Saturday? Meeting spot, number to call ect?

So that may be a JK Whoops! I guess! Thanks Tyler.

I will post more instructions later but basically your name will be Tyler, Backcountry 4x4 club, parking, and you enter through the exhibitor's door on the west side of the building, from the enclosed exhibitor parking lot on the west side of the building. There will be Search and Rescue folks manning that door and

they will sign you out a bright bright vest!

I will PM my phone number to you and ALL THE OTHERS THAT HELP later, and more info. I'd like to find a neat place to park our vehicles on the east side of the main parking lot, on the left as you enter the parking lot. You know, flexed out on a Jersey barrier or something!

It was a great evening! Everyone that came out performed like 'a trooper', and fulfilled their duties with passion, even though it was quite quiet! And the public praised the job.

Here is the thank you I just received:

********************************************************************************************

To: Back Country 4 x 4 Club

Gentlemen,

On behalf of Halifax Regional Search & Rescue as the organiser for assorted volunteer positions at the Atlantic Outdoor Sports RV: THANK YOU x a million!

Thanks hardly seems enough for coming out to direct traffic in a parking lot. Add to that it was a perfectly lovely Saturday to be 'playing' somewhere else. It was very, very kind of you to help out when HRSAR needed some help.

BTW, I was advised by not only show visitors who stopped by our booth, but also by the show management team that you were not only very good at directing vehicles but you were very polite and helpful when speaking to drivers. Nice work guys!

Safe travels,

Deborah

********************************************************************************************

:biggthumpup:

Archived