• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Onboard air

derekmac

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ill be honest i love ac so much that last year i had a loud bearing noise coming from my compressor so i paid 1500$ to get rid of that noise. Lol but onboard air would be nice I might buy that viair kit, just curious if anyone knows 1) can you buy any of that stuff locally? 2) is there anyone around here that could be hired to do a nice installation 3) how much would said installation be approximately?

I guess I don't rockcrawl or or go wheelin' enough. I don't air down enough to have a problem getting to the nearest garage. And i don't need air tools in the woods that badly. We have air in the garage, and the cordless impact drivers. But if I do decide to get air, I have lots of room under the hood! Maybe I'll start one of these fund-me things!

I went the non-mechanical route for my OB Air, I bought the SmittyBilt CompAir tank (similar to PowerTank). It's 10# of CO2 which gives me enough to inflate my 32" tires from 12# to 32# about 6 or 7 times (trail runs). It takes about 45-60 seconds per tire and could also run air tools. There is the expense of refilling but it also doubles as a pretty big fire extinguisher ;)

If you're going to be filling 33's or bigger, or want to run tools, I would also day to get the 100% duty cycle one.

The install is easy, but long if you want to do a good job of it. I started the wiring install at 3:30, stopped for 30 min to eat supper, and just fished now at 7:30.

I could have cut an hour off of that if I didn't take beer breaks too. :D

I actually still need to zip tie the power wire in place and make it a little neater. I also ended up running 1 gauge wire instead of the 4 gauge like I had planned. The fuse holder shown there is only meant for 4 gauge though, so I had to trim the wire down to fit in it.

WP_20140906_16_56_45_Pro.jpg

Running through the biggest grommet in the firewall on the drivers side.

WP_20140906_16_56_52_Pro.jpg

I used my step drill bit to drill a hole in the rear seat support.

WP_20140906_16_57_01_Pro.jpg

The relay wired and installed.

WP_20140906_19_20_55_Pro.jpg

Why is that?

Its cold, in my experience using large air tools for steel erection, air tools dont like the cold, not to mention they are designed for compressed air not c02 n2 etc etc. Im talking about big diesel compressors running 3/4 or 1" line and big 1" or 1 1/2" spline drive impact guns etc. Might be different for the garden variety smaller air tools, it just doesnt seem like a good idea.

It doesn't matter how hot it is outside if I drain my little compressor, it leaves a spot of ice on the ground. That's what happens whenever you compress a gas, it gets cold. It won't seriously harm an impact gun, or nail gums etc. It is not a flammable gas, so a spark generated from a nail gun for example, won't be a danger either. Carbon dioxide is lighter than the air drawn into a compressor, allowing more volume compressed into the tank at a higher pressure.

i dont know where you got that compressing a gas makes it cold, but you raise the temperature when you compress gas. on ship we use coolers to cool the air down as we have massive high pressure compressure ( 2800 psi ) .

Archived