• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Onboard air

derekmac

So I've been toying with the idea of getting a Viair OBA setup as my 12 volt compressor that I have now works well, but it'll only do 4-5 tires before shutting off and needs to cool down. That's fine for just me, but I'd like to be able to help others air up if needed.

I was looking at this one here: VIAIR 150 PSI High-Flow Air Source Kit I don't really want to spend more than that, and right now I'm not even sure if i'll go this route or not.

What are your thoughts on that package?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interested in this set-up as well. I'd separate the compressor from the tank and mount it (tank) externally under the rear space where the spare used to be located. I'm on the fence for this as I'm not sure how well the tank will hold up to our winter elements (read as SALT exposure) and the usual submersion in H2O....

I'd relocate the connector inlet to the rear bumper, btw. Running this unit would also allow for the use of air tools. I don't want to take up the space in the rear cargo area as it is packed to the headliner for weekend family trips as it is; though a roof bag could take care of that I suppose...

Anyone want to buy this and report on how it works? :D

We're waiting on you ;)

I saw 1 installation where someone used pins (think of hood retention pins used in racing) to have the unit removable. He also used a quick connect for the power as well. Pretty sweet set-up, I'll see if I can find the pics.

I have a VIAIR constant duty setup in my truck and I know a few others with it as well. Top quality product and I recommend it for light duty / airing tires.

You CANNOT run air tools with a single compressor VIAIR kit - several of us have tried... you get about 1 lug nut off before it craps out. Mine will literally run all day airing up tires, but no chance of air tools. It takes about 30 minutes to air up all four of my 38's from ~10 PSI to ~30 PSI.

I plan to go the same route that James suggested except that I will be adding another AC compressor to my engine bay (go go giant truck) and dedicating that to my air compressor - a converted AC compressor will most certainly run air tools all day and will cut the 12v pump air up time roughly in 1/2; much, much higher volume of air.

I have a VIAIR constant duty setup in my truck and I know a few others with it as well. Top quality product and I recommend it for light duty / airing tires.

You CANNOT run air tools with a single compressor VIAIR kit - several of us have tried... you get about 1 lug nut off before it craps out. Mine will literally run all day airing up tires, but no chance of air tools. It takes about 30 minutes to air up all four of my 38's from ~10 PSI to ~30 PSI.

I plan to go the same route that James suggested except that I will be adding another AC compressor to my engine bay (go go giant truck) and dedicating that to my air compressor - a converted AC compressor will most certainly run air tools all day and will cut the 12v pump air up time roughly in 1/2; much, much higher volume of air.

30 Minutes? I'm running 33's and with 2 Canadian Tire pumps ($30 each) I can air up in 20ish min; though I'm running 33's (18 to 36 PSI).

Appreciate your feedback Scott, but are you running a tank as well, or just the compressor? If I cannot run air tools, I'll look into something else or keep things status quo.

30 Minutes? I'm running 33's and with 2 Canadian Tire pumps ($30 each) I can air up in 20ish min; though I'm running 33's (18 to 36 PSI).

Appreciate your feedback Scott, but are you running a tank as well, or just the compressor? If I cannot run air tools, I'll look into something else or keep things status quo.

Scott has the tank, but it is only 2gal. Not near enough to really do anything, and the pump doesn't have enough oomph to power any tools after the tank empties. It would air up the tires the same with/or without the tank.

What purpose does the tank serve then?

Reserve capacity to run air tools & air tires up a bit faster. Though, not fast enough apparently. I've seen posts where this set-up will air 4 33's in under 10 minutes, but now I'm skeptical...

I did that with my old XJ works really really well

I know of 5+ Jeeps (YJ, TJ & XJ) that have done the same here locally and it works well. Can't run air tools, but they will inflate a tire better than a 12V compressor.

I ran it with motomaster 5gal twin tank, mounted in the trunk, wouldn't run air tools all that well, like any 5 gal tank really, you would get a good crack at a bolt with 110psi but empties itself out quickly, and the A/C really runs better at higher idles, i used to lock the throttle with vice grips about 1800-2000 rpm to get it to fill up quicker if I ran tools, works well in a pinch, i wouldn't want to swap a whole axle with it though lol...may be a little cussing going on

Theoretically, if you aired up your matching spare to 80psi and had a manifold of hose to connect to all four tires on the ground, you could air them up to ~24psi each with no compressor...(I say ~ because you would lose a bit of air across all 5 tires because of the volume in the hose.

Theoretically, if you aired up your matching spare to 80psi and had a manifold of hose to connect to all four tires on the ground, you could air them up to ~24psi each with no compressor...(I say ~ because you would lose a bit of air across all 5 tires because of the volume in the hose.

I've seen that used in person, though the spare was over inflated to 90 PSI. Result was 4 driving tires to just about 30 PSI from 18. This was with 31's

I've seen that used in person, though the spare was over inflated to 90 PSI. Result was 4 driving tires to just about 30 PSI from 18. This was with 31's

Size doesn't matter, as long as all 5 are the matching. The more air in the tires before airing up, will give a higher final pressure to even out to.

Ahh, I'm reading up on using the A/C compressor, and it really does seem the way to go. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/c-oba-conversion-write-up-pics-471962/ I might see if I can find a good used compressor, and go that route. I'm probably going to have to replace it at some point as it's noisy as hell right now, and the clutch is seized solid.

Archived