• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Bump and Grind accessible?

sar4x4

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, that was the first time I broke a GM 10-bolt 1/2 ton semi-floating axle. When the weight of the Suburban and 33s ended up trying to be driven by one rear wheel with good traction, (it had a factory installed Eaton Gov-Lok Limited Slip), it was too much for that small shaft! I changed the axle in the field, eventually having to lift the entire rear of the vehicle on uneven ground and having to remove both wheels and axle shafts to get the broken pieces out, by shoving a bar through one side and out the other. The Gov-Lok never worked right after that, acting like a spool, and squaeling the tires in parking lots!

And not learning from that, it happened again a year later. Luckily both times were during warm weather!

The first time it took a day to find an axleshaft.

And then I went with a 14-bolt full-floater!

Then it's a question of making that work with my stock oil bath air filter... really not keen to make that go away and it does not lend itself well to the snorkel idea... I have a plan thought, on the list along with diesel engine rebuilds and making a new bulkhead, rock sliders, better bumper, sand blasting and galvanizing my rims, etc, etc.

Archived