• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Fuel line repair / replacement

autumnwalker

The H2 has sprung a leak on the sending fuel line somewhere near the tank (based on sniff test around the truck).

The truck will turn over for a few seconds (approx 3x longer than usual) and then will fire and run fine. After driving the truck the rear driver's side area stinks (where the fuel lines run). The combination of the hard turn over and then the stinking gas line area leads me to believe pressure gas line.

So - what are my options? Can I repair it somehow? Should I replace the entire line (how the hell do you do that)?

Definitely be a replacement of the line, cant really repair them. There should be a connector on each end of the line that would be removed and replaced. You can buy fully bent and read lines specific to where you need and it shouldn't be too hard to replace. I will let Thibideau chime in on this though as well.

Where would one get the bent lines? I called Parts Source and they only sell it bulk by the foot.

I'm assuming the dealership would have them, but would charge me a small fortune.

Generally, can you replace by the section or am I looking at engine to tank?

Its pretty much in section as far as I know, Scott was saying a roll of brake line is around $25ish dollars, then you need to get a special tool for the ends. Might be able to do a small section, but would be better to do the whole line. If one part breaks, its only a matter of time before another part does.

Depends where it's leaking there's usually plastic lines that go from the hard line (steel) to the sending unit would be easiest fix or your steel line is leaking that needs a special flare to clip onto the plastic line then you can just cut and use a compression fitting to join the 2 there's not much pressure there so the comression is fine ran then on my gas line for 2 years with no issues

We have the same issue with the Ford Focus we are working on. The hard start as you say is probably taking time to build pressure. Canadian Tire has some GM pre-bent and ready fuel lines in the brake lines section, at Cole Harbour. (Probably everywhere.) PA sales the tool for the connector so I'm told. But sometimes as you say you might want to replace it all. For the Ford we are only replacing a small section, that rusted out where it is clamped to the body, and it trapped moisture. We have a backyard mechanic friend that does wonders for us and says he'll build a section we can splice in somehow! We are always learning!

The dealer is selling full line sets now you may want to give them a call they are fairly reasonably priced all things considered

Yup, sometimes the dealer will surprise you on some parts prices. They were the cheapest for the :fuk: Stupid Pontiac :fuk: 's transmission cooler lines, and the only source for the lower one.

Take it somewhere and have it repaired properly it's not a rusty old chevette

In my case it's a rusty old Ford Focus that will get driven a couple k a year, and maybe the whole K-frame or whatever they call it under the rear end might just disentegrate anyway! The rest of the car is fine, but the frame/suspension looks rough!

Thats what i am saying this not the case with the hummer :-)

In my case it's a rusty old Ford Focus that will get driven a couple k a year, and maybe the whole K-frame or whatever they call it under the rear end might just disentegrate anyway! The rest of the car is fine, but the frame/suspension looks rough!

Archived