• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

87 Olds ls swap

Lil'monster

Ya I had it up and running like the end of Nov. Then got busy for Christmas with family stuff then when i got back at it the original rally pack gauges that chris wanted to used were fried so we decided to go custom but Chris couldn't make up his mind what he wanted so I finnally got online and found these ones and got them ordered . Once we ordered them I had it all together in a couple weeks

so you got an LR4 from a silverado or sierra with cast iron block ? nice, those engines, even though a lot less powerful, are a lot cheaper, just as upgradeable and more importantly, bulletproof

Yup they are only 85 pounds heavier than an all aluminun ls1 and you can do all of the same upgrades plus they can be machined without sleaving . I have a 2002 6.0l (lq4) in my truggy and running ls1intake ,waterpump ,corvette power steering pump ,altenator and harmonic balancer

Ya i know you were talking about the 4.8 i was just mentioning it because you can pick up a 6.0 l for about the same money as the 4.8 and they are the same dimension weight etc .and are very common to find in these rusty old chevy trucks ;-). It is hard

to find any ls2 or ls3 engines around here atleast for the prices of the truck engines anyway

LS engines get pricey real fast when you get the new ones. i like the idea of using a pick up truck engine, the cast iron block is really solid. if addinfg forced induction or just beating the crap out of it is in the plans its the way to go. i had a friend who was drifting in DMCC and had an engine setup like yours, but with a stroker kit, and that engine took a lot more abuse than the other guys running aluminum blocks

Archived