• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

SmartPhone Apps

BlackPrintz

I became curious, after I started the thread about an app I have on my iPhone for low light pics, to know what really useful apps people have on their phones. A lot of apps are available for multiple OSs and some are only available for either iOS or Android. A few that I have that I find really handy are:

Canadian Tire because of the built-in scan feature for checking product info in store (FREE)

GasBuddy for checking gas prices, handy when we travelled to Ontario in the fall (FREE)

Knots (How to tie) is a visual step-by-step 3D guide on tieing dozens of knots (FREE)

Merriam-Webster Dictionary soes I kin spell bedder (FREE)

Convert Any Unit Free, metric to imperial, or any unit to another (FREE)

Ookla SpeedTest to check your internet connection speed (FREE)

Motion-X GPS for tracking trail runs (FREE or Cheap?)

TiltMeter, a clinometer on my phone (FREE)

As you can see, I haven't spent a lot on apps, and I have all the usual ones, banking, FB, weather Network, etc. What do you have that is cool and useful, share with us. :king:

edit: another one I just realized I had is Topographic Maps Canada which is a FREE app that lets you download any 1:50,000 topo map in the country, and it stitches them together as you move across the province. You don't need an internet connection to view them once they're loaded.

x2 on buying apps...I don't do it usually unless there's something worth spending a couple of bucks on.

What I use most on my droid;

• Car Gauge - ODB2 reader with real-time sensor graphing and logging - free version available without logging. I paid for the full.
  • Backcountry Navigator Pro - off-line topo mapping etc, will also record tracks - paid
  • Fast burst Camera - it makes the camera act like it's on PCP, 100% customizable of every aspect of the camera, it can take camera bursts and perma-flash etc - paid
  • GPS Essentials - like BC Nav Pro, but has a few more options like video recording - free
  • GPS Navigation & Maps - paid $7 for offline maps of the world - I used it when I was in Orlando with no data
  • Lapse It - time lapse photography; really customizable and I used it as a dash cam on club outings - paid

....+ all the usual free droid apps, google maps, scotiabank, CT etc

Archived