• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

FJ done! No longer allowed on NS roads!!!!

Potato Digger

So everyone here is on the same page. Provincial inspectors and the Minister have decided that my vehicle can pass the MVI but must pass an engineer certification by the only engineer certified by the province. After talking to this engineer, he stated it is not worth it to pay the price for this inspection because he will not pass it for several reasons. My truck will be gone tomorrow and I will be strolling around in a new rig. I am in the midst of gathering more info. on this from the provincial inspectors and the inspection they did to narrow down what part of the MVA they are stating that is covering this rejection and am hoping to take more action to recover some of the costs this is costing myself and try and protect our way of life and the impact on the community with regards to charity events, parades we participate in, recoveries, and weather conditions we go out to transport essential services and other agencies. This is all pending if it is feasible for me to do so?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The truck is traded to a dealership and will be auctioned off. Reasons I am told are bumper height, Tie rods, ball joints, braking system, axles etc are all not designed to take the extra weight and stress put on them by the suspension. I do understand that it is his insurance and engineering certification that are in jeopardy if there is an accident on a public road or highway and am okay with his refusal to certify. I am contesting that there are no references in the MVA as it stands right now to back up the provinces findings with my vehicle and that the revisions to the MVA are not passed or in effect yet and should not apply.

so basically, if your truck was just a little lower or your bumper lower when you got it inspected and that the garage you went to wasnt picky about it, you would have passed? it seems strange cause i brought my m3 twice to canadian tire so far to get is MVI'd and both times i had : check engine light lit up because i deleted the EGR, secondary air flow pump and everything that relates to it, a brake light lit up because i broke a sensor for pad wear, and an airbag lit because the sensor for the passenger seatbelt is screwed, and passed without an issue. it sucks for you but i will definitely not go where you went for the mvi. with the amount of lifted trucks in nova scotia, you're probably the first guy to get rejected ( i dont include guys with 42s ans 10 inch lift kits :P ) .

if the government is really starting to tighten the screw, i guess i ll sell the fj, buy a pick up truck and get myself a retarded rig instead

Ron, please PM me your e-mail and I will forward you correpsondence from an engineer that is lobbying DMV to place these things in the MVA. He is an automoblie enthusiast and is also interested in kit cars, street rods, etc. One of his examples of inconsistency is something like you need a working windshield defroster or wipers or something. And some cars like a Model A probably didn't have a defroster and therefore fails the MVA. And upgrading a 1930's front axle to mid-80's doesn't pass and or a bunch of other nonsense. He would be real interested in your situation.

I was told that as long as all the conditions are met for an MVI you will pass, in this case the place that MVI'd my vehicle was wrong. It is not there place to pick up suspension modifications on a vehicle it is the Provincial inspectors place and they may impound your vehicle if it is not certified by the engineer the Province has certified to do the engineer certifications.

Eugene, antique vehicles (25+ years old) do not have to comply with the new laws. This includes seat belts, interior gas tanks, owning a Corvair, etc. all will pass the test as long as OEM equipment was not removed.

You are also on the right track! The person who is qualified to make these determinations should be an automotive enthusiast/expert! Someone who pushes paper & pen is not likely to understand the Q&C that comes from reputable companies such as Rancho, BDS, ProComp, etc.

i have to say your truck looks a lot bigger than mine that's still OEM, but I doubt this will be the case of people with a 2 inch budget lift on their 98 cherokee. it sucks for you though because in the end you lose money getting rid of the truck.

and truxterra is totally right, they cant force a 63 corvette to install catalytic converters just because newer cars need them etc. one of the only exception is for day running lights. my bimmer came from the states and even in 99, they werent forced to have DRL there, so they had to install them in canada.

how much room for modifications does that engineer give? does he have some sort of chart saying: ok your new wheels weight that much extra, you need that size of cv joints or tie rods etc. i also dont get the "extra added weight". your fj has oem bumpers, your lift kit consists of strut spacers, stronger shocks and springs that weight probably about the same weight. the pro comp cross member doesnt add a whole lot of weight since every car comes with a crossmember... the only thing i see is the rims and tires. its not like the truck ends up 1000lbs heavier.

sometimes i wish i still live in quebec where they have no inspection whatsoever. they'll only take the car off the road if we see through because its so rusted hahahaha or if its a civic with the biggest fart can. i think they re pretty much the same in ontario too

i have to say your truck looks a lot bigger than mine that's still OEM, but I doubt this will be the case of people with a 2 inch budget lift on their 98 cherokee. it sucks for you though because in the end you lose money getting rid of the truck.

and truxterra is totally right, they cant force a 63 corvette to install catalytic converters just because newer cars need them etc. one of the only exception is for day running lights. my bimmer came from the states and even in 99, they werent forced to have DRL there, so they had to install them in canada.

how much room for modifications does that engineer give? does he have some sort of chart saying: ok your new wheels weight that much extra, you need that size of cv joints or tie rods etc. i also dont get the "extra added weight". your fj has oem bumpers, your lift kit consists of strut spacers, stronger shocks and springs that weight probably about the same weight. the pro comp cross member doesnt add a whole lot of weight since every car comes with a crossmember... the only thing i see is the rims and tires. its not like the truck ends up 1000lbs heavier.

sometimes i wish i still live in quebec where they have no inspection whatsoever. they'll only take the car off the road if we see through because its so rusted hahahaha or if its a civic with the biggest fart can. i think they re pretty much the same in ontario too

But in ON & QC, your vehicle will fail with an ABS, check engine or any other idiot light on. They complete emission tests in those provinces (On for sure, fairly certain it's true for QC as well), not a "fitness" type test. Now in AB...there are no (or very, very limited) rules!

This is going to require a multi-automotive force! This not only impacts off-road vehicles, but also the group that likes to lower their rides. I know a client that has a Jetta that is air ride equipped. He can lower to 1/2" above the ground to 2"+ above the OEM ride height. Drop angles are just as prone as lift angles when it comes to tie rods, ball joints, axles....

unless you transfer a vehicle from the states or another province, there are no inspections at all, unless they require a fitness inspection. the government is trying to come up with an emission test, but it will be years before the law is in effect.

i just dont get their thing for the extra added weight being a problem. adding bigger tires and stronger suspension parts is a no-no, but then you can tow 5000lbs with the vehicle.

its just as dumb as if i were to go for an mvi with my girlfriend's car, 08 accent, that has a thule roof rack on it, plus the cargo box and i can put up to 180 lbs in it and they tell me you added weight to the vehicle... makes no sense.

my bimmer is lowered 3 inches and until last summer i was running hankook ventus RSS tires ( competition use only ) on the street and no one ever said anything. i guess i was just lucky.

anyways, enough ranting. Rob, are you gonna let us know what your new rig is?

Well, I see the solution here.

Lets all go out and buy vehicles older than 25 years. I get dibs on the old AMC Eagles ;)

On another note, this really sucks for military members coming into the province with lifted vehicles from places like Cold Lake, Comox, and other postings that don't have strict rules.

Okay, just finished talking to someone who has had a lot of input and dealings with this whole subject and he is going to send some emails to have this stopped ASAP. There has been no change to the MVA and he is going above these guys heads to have this squashed. I should know more in a couple of days! So, I am going to call off the trade in again and have the truck pass the MVI. Hope this comes out fine for me. I really don't like ticking off the dealership but I can give them names to complain too! :) My fingers are crossed.

Ron, you can/should be naming names on the shops, the engineer, gov officials, etc. that is putting up this bullshit and also those that are helping in this. The name of those against should be public to be known as "not 4x4 friendly" then others can be made aware so as not to waste their money on such businesses.

By chance have you read all the MVI wrangling in the MVI section on NSJC?

I'm thinking of registering mine as an antique vehicle. I think it is now 30 years in NS, not 25 anymore, and mine turns 30 in 3 months! And if I can, I think that will end MVI forever, but I suspect I will run into hassles along the way. I don't want to mess up my insurance either.

Well, I see the solution here.

Lets all go out and buy vehicles older than 25 years. I get dibs on the old AMC Eagles ;)

On another note, this really sucks for military members coming into the province with lifted vehicles from places like Cold Lake, Comox, and other postings that don't have strict rules.

I got my old truck!

Archived