• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Toms Car/Truck/Jeep Finds.

TomWood

I can always do a road trip with you Jay!  I've got access to a big diesel and big trailer!

I'd bet $ to donuts that truck has more rust than shown.  The pictures are of the outside rust.  There is likely lots more hidden.  But, body on frame is easy enough to fix!

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, but don't tempt me :) ...I've already got a slow moving project on the go LOL

And I'm sure you're right about it.

Case in point...I was talking to somebody about a '93 2 door XJ that popped up for sale last week. It looked pretty solid and was priced as such. When asked about the underneath and potential for rot, I got a reply "She all seems pretty solid to me."

I tracked down the previous owner...here's what the same question brought "Well it was rough but I fixed it, but hard to pass safety because I used Diamond plate"

2 hours ago, jay said:

Thanks, but don't tempt me :) ...I've already got a slow moving project on the go LOL

And I'm sure you're right about it.

Case in point...I was talking to somebody about a '93 2 door XJ that popped up for sale last week. It looked pretty solid and was priced as such. When asked about the underneath and potential for rot, I got a reply "She all seems pretty solid to me."

I tracked down the previous owner...here's what the same question brought "Well it was rough but I fixed it, but hard to pass safety because I used Diamond plate"

I got tons of parts to repair that Bronco, and when finished and a few tweaks it could be a fast moving project with that v8, your solid axle will bolt right in., and i have 2 working transmissions to fit and 2 transfercases .As for exterior rust around the wheels, front fenders are only $70 new, and rad supports are the same from 1980-1996, so it is not Hart to find one in good shape. Rear wheel arch patches only $25 a side, IV been watching that bronco, ha-ha even told Tracey to sell the grand am and it would be her new daily driver. She almost bit on it ....or maybe I'm dreaming....

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Probably big axle shafts, no torque steer!  And maybe equal length!

There is definitely torque steer for about 5 feet until both front tires loose traction, then the steering wheel seems to float, front of car just seems to float, lots of smoke going by the doors and steering input is useless.  Engine is still North South configuration,  front outter CV shafts are the same side to side . there is an off set diff on the driver side and a long output shaft for the pass side, similar to an S10 front 4wd axle setup.

Here is a transmission and front diff from an eldorado56d989c977c85_2013-05-27153659.jpg.809aa

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, 82Yota said:

I had stacks of those I took for scrap from dodges and fords with ratios ranging, some trac lock and some suregrip. Couldn't give em away

5 minutes ago, 82Yota said:

Hahah crazy. I wish that I could find old axle shafts, cranks and flywheels. I wanna make garage stools outta them

Come get em then, got a Dodge 8-1/4 you can have , a 302 flywheel already in the pile, I took all the scrap engines I had laying around in but my buddie still has the 4.0 Jeep crank laying on the garage floor from the stroker he just built. That s-10 is still sitting there complete .

1 minute ago, 82Yota said:

Sweet! Ill see about making it out our way again. Last time Graham and me were like "wtf are we?" haha

There is a slant 6 there u can have too, it's still attached to some of the truck,  if I take a few , I imagine there is a lot I'm forgetting, I'll have to do a walk around to see everything up there

On 1/23/2016 at 4:40 PM, 82Yota said:

Spotted this cherry at action transmission in aylesford. Not sure if its for sale though

20160124_162500.jpg

20160124_162508.jpg

Any chance you know who owns this? My friend owns a lifted j10 and might be interested in it for some spare parts.

Here is a picture of his rig if anyone is interested, 1974 Jeep J10 with an AMC 360. Lifted a total of 12 inches sitting on 39s currently. He restored it all himself besides the paint.

11136720_947211835310163_5256745704643184236_n.jpg

1 minute ago, Crossley said:

Any chance you know who owns this? My friend owns a lifted j10 and might be interested in it for some spare parts.

Here is a picture of his rig if anyone is interested, 1974 Jeep J10 with an AMC 360. Lifted a total of 12 inches sitting on 39s currently. He restored it all himself besides the paint.

Not sure who owns it but its at Action Transmission in Aylesford. Call them and see, everything has a price

Archived