• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Toms Car/Truck/Jeep Finds.

TomWood

Jay - your list of fixes on the X doesn't sound that serious... fix up the sheet metal and bolt on the few parts under the hood.

You don't NEED to SAS it for safety - safety it and wheel the piss out of it.

EDIT: re-reading your needs list for the X - the worst part is the timing belt. I have no idea what the engine on the X is like - if you can DIY it then that's a massive savings... and you typically replace the water pump at the same time anyway. New drums on the back (disc conversion available?) will take care of your ebrake issues as well as it would be replaced (I assume)... why not keep it? It's pretty unique!

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Scott.  That is a very minor list, compared to a new-to-you vehicle with a similar or longer list!

I have a list like that for each of the Rogue, and the Scout, and the Suburban!

Rogue needs AC fixed, a ball joint - you wouldn't believe the price, then a wheel alignment, a new belt, and something else, I forget.  Stealership price of almost $2k!  But is it better to sell it and by something else?  Nope!  130k km, all new brakes, NO RUST, new tires, and I'm not scared to scratch it!  Much as I complain it has never quit on me on the highway!  Or anywhere!

Scout needs water pump and brakes.  And much more TLC like change the fluids that haven't been changed in 20 years!  And one body mount, and and and.

And I wouldn't sell it for $10k.  Not even $15k.  Not for sale!

Suburban?  Not enough paper!

Why would the timing belt write your x off regarding the mvi. The  mechanic can't even see the belt, and you could replace it yourself. Belts aren't expensive too. Water pump and oil pump usually gets replaced while you're there, but its not too hard to do. 

this has got me interested. He's super firm on price, but it may be worth feeling the extra pain - Greg Hiltz anyone ?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/dartmouth/jeep-cj7/1098529469

CJ7, v8 304, 4 spd T-176 trans, dana 300 t case, D 44 axles wide track, 35in goodyear MTR with 6 inch lift.
custom built frame by professional outlet in Moncton
fiberglass body/hard top /hard doors
seats /family roll bar from 93 sahara yj
four shoulder belt seat belts
swing out tire carrier with full size spare and high lift jack.
8,500 lb winch rugged ridge, high lift jack
Mileage is since engine rebuild. MVI until may 2016 $6000 Firm

Cj7s are nice. My buddy's dad had one with 35s when I was a kid. Had a corvette LT1 in it. I remember him spanking mustang 5.0s in it lol. The guy's setup was cool with the fiberglass tub. A lot of the cj5s and cj7s weren't galvanized or nothing so they were absolute rust bucket s

yes the CJ7 sounded bad-*** - oh well.

Here's an 2004 Rubicon $6500

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/bedford/jeep-tj-rubicon/1094422624

Jeep is 5 speed standard
Soft top and hard top included
Currently has a 4" lift riding on 31/10.50/R15's tires are still in great shape and spare has never been used
After market clarion deck and front speakers with kenwood rollbar speakers
Extremely bright aftermarket LEDs ( 2 - 7" rounds and 1 20" bar )
Tinted blinker signals
Warn 10000lb vr series winch and remote
4wd works perfect
Only taken off road once. ( I call BS on this looking at the interior)
Since I've had the jeep I've put in a new starter, rear brake pads, tensioner, water pump and serpentine belt.
It's got little rust except for some typical rust spots these vehicles have.
MVI'd till December 2016.

Sounds like the previous owner or even him might've had bigger tires with that 4" lift. Not bad of a deal though. You might have to bump up your budget to end up not switching a problem for another problem. So far the rubicon is the only vehicle posted that could last you several years instead of being a pain next time it gets safetied

I always love them ads with: it needs minor work to be safetied. Then why doesn't everyone just do the  minor work and sell their rigs for more. .. But no, they sell their garbage as is cause they know exactly what they are selling

I agree with Jonathon on 'regular' stuff, but when it comes to a classic, I'd buy at the right price!

It was only listed this morning.  It would have to have something seriously wrong to be not worth $2,500!

Don't take it in the woods Jay!

They were not 'glass from the factory. I have no experience with 'glass, just what I've read.  Some were strong, some might be busted up!

Electrical and fibreglass, you would have to run ground wires from every light, heater fan, radio, etc down to the frame and/or back to the battery or a base panel of some sort.

Electrical can be a PITA but usually fixable just tracing every wire one at a time!

But Jay, you talked about a new purchase budget of around 4000$, can't you just take that amunt and dump it all on the X. I mean, that could buy a lot of stuff foy your rig. 

Could you get someone to safety your vehicle after the SAS is complete or its more likely  no one will do it?

Guys with yotas put Chevy 63s in the rear and they flex like crazy. There has to be some mods for something like that. Right now, the x is like mine and doesn't flex at all hahaha. Looks clean. Best contender so far for the price. Plus its already mvi'd and its transferable to NS

Archived