• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

WTF??...Site won't come up on my laptop :(

Eastcoastcam

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Devin here's a few things to try out:

Based on what I can tell it seems like it is with the google analytics code. I'm more then certain the code is fine.

I only use chrome and firefox. Have you tired either? Forums on the net are saying it happens with internet explorer only? hmm...

Is your PC up to date? Running the latest version of IE?

Also folks believe it might be related to a previously infected PC. I know your using AVG but in my personal opinion (as a IT security consultant) AVG is on the weaker side of antivirus. Not saying to remove AVG but try using a free online scan with ESET as second opinion on your PC health. Can't hurt!

here is the link. Run this when your PC is free from use. And trying using firefox or chrome! These days I only use IE when i'm forced with old legacy apps.

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

Just my two cents!

I already use ESET once a month. AVG is my "active" program. Everything is up to date, I have an IT background as well ;) Maybe I'll go back to Avast, I removed it from my last PC cause it was a processing *****. Also have MSE as an option.

I only get it on this site and I login to numerous forums a day. Only asked about the Google tracker as I saw a post about something like that causing issues on another site. Can't see how the theme would be cause it, but I'll change it to see.

I really find it odd that it is only this site that prompts the JS threat & no other.

Can't see how the theme would be cause it, but I'll change it to see.

Themes are made up of hundreds of individual files - if there is an issue with a particular theme it would be isolated to that theme. This is horribly complex software.

I'm also told on the Invision forums (people who make the software) that AVG is known to do this across many sites - are any of your other forums running IP.Board?

I really find it odd that it is only this site that prompts the JS threat & no other.

Agreed this is weird!

The only other thing I can suggest other then switching anti virus software is debug time! ;)

Proxy tools like webscarab to analyze all HTTP traffic going from your PC to this forum. It's not pretty but will show wtf is going on here. Or using firefox's firebug debugger.

I agree with Scott and point the finger to AVG. Try out MSE.

• 2 weeks later...

Brandi, James & I are not the only ones to have this issue (not theme related)...across multiple platforms & anti-virus software programs. To be noted: I do not get errors on my work computer running XP.

Theme colours only change based on code, everything else remains the same. Sites are based on HEX or RBG values. Nothing else within the code should change between themes.

Brandi, James & I are not the only ones to have this issue (not theme related)...across multiple platforms & anti-virus software programs. To be noted: I do not get errors on my work computer running XP.

Theme colours only change based on code, everything else remains the same. Sites are based on HEX or RBG values. Nothing else within the code should change between themes.

Actually Devin, each theme is a completely individual site nearly 100% independent from the others from a code perspective. The only thing that is shared among the themes is the database.

As a side note, this is why I did not want to implement the orange theme because it is a **** ton of work to implement and maintain each theme.

It is very possible that there is an issue with the orange theme unless someone else (Clarence?) is having the issue on a non-orange theme as well.

Actually Devin, each theme is a completely individual site nearly 100% independent from the others from a code perspective. The only thing that is shared among the themes is the database.

As a side note, this is why I did not want to implement the orange theme because it is a **** ton of work to implement and maintain each theme.

It is very possible that there is an issue with the orange theme unless someone else (Clarence?) is having the issue on a non-orange theme as well.

Scott, with an IT background you should know better. When the end user selects a different theme, the only difference in code is the user selected preference (as in HEX or RBG data changes), nothing else should change.

I'm not sure what is going on with this forum, but some coding is creating issues. As Clarence posted above, he had a prompt as well.

Scott, with an IT background you should know better. When the end user selects a different theme, the only difference in code is the user selected preference (as in HEX or RBG data changes), nothing else should change.

Devin, as someone who has no idea how this forum software works you should stop posting false information and thinking you know the answer to everything.

As I said above, when you change a theme everything from the database forward changes. Carbon Red and Carbon Orange have 100% independent file structures (including code and images).

Devin, as someone who has no idea how this forum software works you should stop posting false information and thinking you know the answer to everything.

As I said above, when you change a theme everything from the database forward changes. Carbon Red and Carbon Orange have 100% independent file structures (including code and images).

Sorry Scott, there was suppose to be a ;) at the end of that sentence and I must have deleted it when I edited the line. And I do have an IT background, it was intended to be a tongue n cheek comment, but without the ;) it obviously was read to be argumentative.

Between my posts last night I read up on the software used to host this site and I agree that it is not as simple as other software used on other sites. That was also dropped when I edited the second post.

Archived