• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

WTF??...Site won't come up on my laptop :(

Eastcoastcam

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the report from the scan on the server:

malware detect scan report for lima.unisonplatform.com:
SCAN ID: 080813-0719.166208
TIME: Aug 8 07:23:10 -0500
PATH: /home/backcoun
TOTAL FILES: 23396
TOTAL HITS: 0
TOTAL CLEANED: 0

lima.unisonplatform.com is the servername and, obviously, our directory is /home/backcoun.

Zero infections.

I have AVG on my office desktop. Only when using IE do I get an alert. Threat: Exploit JavaScript Obfuscation (type 156), Object Name: www.backcountry4x4club.ca/ (Threat has been successfully removed). When I click 'More Details', it brings up this webpage http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/website-safety-reports/domain/backcountry4x4club.ca/linkreport/www.backcountry4x4club.ca%252F/?utm_source=TDPU&utm_medium=OS

Again - Javascript Obfuscation is a perfectly legitimate coding practice. AVG disagrees and they are creating a LOT of issues for webmasters (case in point here).

Check out this thread which explains the webmaster's point of view and how AVG responds - http://forums.avg.com/ca-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=210768

I have submit a complaint to AVG about their classification of this site and I will see how they respond.

At noon, I tried from home on a PC laptop with Avast Anti-Virus. In IE, it totally blocked the site so I tried using Safari and also couldn't access the site but got this message: The error is: "" (kCFErrorDomainWinSock:10054) Please choose Safari > Report Bugs to Apple, note the error number, and describe what you did before you saw this message.

So then I tried a Mac laptop (very old Mac) running Safari and had no problem. Also, here at my office, Safari on a PC has no problems but if I use IE, I get the warning I posted above, but I can continue to the site.

• 2 weeks later...

It's strange how some are having problems and others don't. I access this site on three different computer, all different OS's (Win 7, 8 and OSX). One thing I did notice is that I can't access it in Chrome on any of the computers, have to use IE or Safari or it comes up really weird.

It's strange how some are having problems and others don't. I access this site on three different computer, all different OS's (Win 7, 8 and OSX). One thing I did notice is that I can't access it in Chrome on any of the computers, have to use IE or Safari or it comes up really weird.

I never seem to have any problems with Chrome.

Been away from my laptop for a few days and tonight when I went to Login, a warning box appeared with the following info:

An unsigned application from the location below is requesting permission to run.

Yikes - I can assure you that there is no file on the server matching that file name or location.

Not saying its a virus, but there is definitely something not right with the site. There are many people with issues that relate and don't relate to virus, what other diagnostics are being done on the site other then the same scan repeatedly?

site has loaded like that for me as well on occasion.

I have been really scratching my head about this one and trying to figure out what might be causing the randomness. There is a technique in web programming / applications called "minify". Basically the idea is that it combines several javascript and css files and removes any whitespace, duplication, etc. and saves bandwidth and decreases load times for pages.

It is possible that it is causing AVG to detect the minified code as obfuscated and there is also a chance it is why the site loads funny sometimes (basically when the site loads like that it is not loading the css files properly). I have just disabled the minify option on the board - lets see if that makes any difference.

Ok - I have been going over everything with a fine tooth comb.

The minify stuff hopefully solved the issues with the board loading funny and the obfusticated JS warnings. There were still a few people talking about the main website (Wordpress) throwing unsigned Java warnings. I went through the files and could not find anything out of place, but I did replace every single file with brand new downloaded directly from wordpress.org. If there was anything embedded in any of the files it'll be gone now since they have all been wiped out and replaced with the fresh stuff.

All passwords for administrative logins have been changed. Let me know if you're still getting any weirdness.

Archived