• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Toyo Open country M/T or Firestone Destination M/T

72LandRover88

Found some info on the retreads, they don't have the sidewall strength the other tires do. Tread pattern and wear seem good, just the sidewall is soft and easy to puncture. Keep an eye on kijiji and you may find a good deal.

One of the North Nova NSJC guys had nothing but problems with his set of retreads, because of airing down for the trail. He ended up picking up a set of BFG ATs from buddy referred to in this thread, but he intends to get a better MT for trails and keep the ATs for street and light wheeling.

Found some info on the retreads, they don't have the sidewall strength the other tires do. Tread pattern and wear seem good, just the sidewall is soft and easy to puncture. Keep an eye on kijiji and you may find a good deal.

One of the North Nova NSJC guys had nothing but problems with his set of retreads, because of airing down for the trail. He ended up picking up a set of BFG ATs from buddy referred to in this thread, but he intends to get a better MT for trails and keep the ATs for street and light wheeling.

Definately some worth will info there. Price is definately right but if it is going to let me down on the trail...

I would be looking at trailmaster MTs and I have trailmaster TDs on my truck and have been happy with them and I know a Maritime Rovers member who had the TDs on his 90 and was happy with them (except performace in ice and snow which is understandable) but I don't think he airs down often at all.

I have sent Eastern Tire an email inquiring about sidewall strength, # of plys, where the casing for the retread comes from, etc.

Hercules Trail Digger M/T may also be another option... must price that out.... according to the Hercules website Ok Tire is a dealer for them as well...

This is directly from Chris (C-man Monster on NSJC) about the ETS Retreads (mt ones)

ok they suck big time is all I can say
sidewall strength sucks if you air down the side wall ,
will crack and not hold air any more
I had one blow on me just 10 mins after the tire shop put them on and I was on my way home

all I can way is you get what you pay for
there a ok cheap winter tire for the street
but not much good for off Roading

I did not have the hart to sell them to someone, I just put them on our old driveway snowplow truck

This is directly from Chris (C-man Monster on NSJC) about the ETS Retreads (mt ones)

well that sounds terrible. I've heard that they don't fair too well aired down on a heavier vehicle.... Looking into how 265/76/16 will fit on my Wolf rims... Buddy down toward Digby has km2's in that size for $175 or something like that...

well that sounds terrible. I've heard that they don't fair too well aired down on a heavier vehicle.... Looking into how 265/76/16 will fit on my Wolf rims... Buddy down toward Digby has km2's in that size for $175 or something like that...

Chris had them on his TJ.

I cant see there being too much issue with that size, height wise is the same, just width and turning. What is the bolt pattern on the Landie? We can try mine on yours if the same to see if they will work

I cant see there being too much issue with that size, height wise is the same, just width and turning. What is the bolt pattern on the Landie? We can try mine on yours if the same to see if they will work

Not even close I'd say. 5 bolt but the spacing is very unique. The centre hole is 6 inches across or something stupid like that! My biggest concern about the size is the extra weight (little 2 1/4 4 cylinder petrol engine.... 1950's technology) the effect of the larger contact patch on the effort required to turn the steering wheel (no power steering... whatever that is!) and the tire contacting the fenders (there isn't a lot of space as it is between the inner part of the fender and the side of the tire...

I have a magazine I picked up yesterday that is a full on tire comparison and review. I can lend it to you if you want or pick one up, cant remember what its called now.

I appreciate the offer and may yet take you up on it. Most info can be found online which is nice.

I heard back from Eastern Tire. They say all the casings for 235/85R16 Trailmaster MTs are 10 ply (check in the box). What concerns me is that I was very specific that I am concerned about the sidewall strength especially when aired down for trail use and the response said I would need 40 to 45 PSI MINIMUM.... that's way too much for the little rover on 10 plys evne on the road!

The 265/75 km2's are tempting and I've read of Rovers that have that size but still am not sure. Nice thing about the 235/85 is it's the same size as my F250 and I have no desire to go any bigger on that either..... so when they get too worn for trail use I can finish them off on the F250!

As far as the hercules is concerned, online reviews don't seem too bad but I contacted ok tire to ask about them. Guy said he used to have a Hercules account but gave it up because they did not stand up to thier quality expectations... Need to get a price to really make a decision on them.

All very good points, that's a lot of PSI to be running in any tire, let alone a mud tire. I am sure someone has run the trailmaster MT's and will be able to provide some insight. As James always says "Do a chalk test to find the right PSI for the tire" :D

• 2 weeks later...

hi I cman monster

me and my frend have run them Eastern Tire. ETS Trailmaster MT remods size 265/75-16 in m/t

and both of us had a lot of problems have them me with a jeep him with a 2wd f-150 no off roading

I have some photos I post for my 2 week old tires

they look like therre are 100 yars old now

this is what they look like after the frist time I air them down to 13 psi and I air them back up to 30 psi on the street before I drove home

it ok a jeep tj

post-829-0-48441900-1372940054_thumb.jpg

post-829-0-57607200-1372940071_thumb.jpg

post-829-0-10139600-1372940082_thumb.jpg

post-829-0-88558000-1372940093_thumb.jpg

I've had my Firestone destination MTs on for over a year and they are still in excellent condition

31x10.5 excellent wear, no scalloping and I don't rotate them as often as I should.. Also they work awesome in the mud and on rock, mud cleans out well.. I'm pretty hard on them and at this point no complaints, will be getting them again once these ones fade away

I've had my Firestone destination MTs on for over a year and they are still in excellent condition

31x10.5 excellent wear, no scalloping and I don't rotate them as often as I should.. Also they work awesome in the mud and on rock, mud cleans out well.. I'm pretty hard on them and at this point no complaints, will be getting them again once these ones fade away

You use them in the winter?

All very good points, that's a lot of PSI to be running in any tire, let alone a mud tire. I am sure someone has run the trailmaster MT's and will be able to provide some insight. As James always says "Do a chalk test to find the right PSI for the tire" :D

Chalk test or no chalk test... if the manufacture says to run a MUD TERRAIN tire at that high of a MINIMUM pressure.... that's not much of a mud terrain tire...

hi I cman monster

me and my frend have run them Eastern Tire. ETS Trailmaster MT remods size 265/75-16 in m/t

and both of us had a lot of problems have them me with a jeep him with a 2wd f-150 no off roading

I have some photos I post for my 2 week old tires

they look like therre are 100 yars old now

this is what they look like after the frist time I air them down to 13 psi and I air them back up to 30 psi on the street before I drove home

it ok a jeep tj

I had/still have the ETS TD tires on my 2wd F250, I certainly do not put a lot of driving on them but they were on it when I bought the truck 5 (ish) years ago and them served me well on that truck. Sounds to me like there is no consistency with these tires (my F250 has handled them well but not your friends F150...) seems there are some decent ones in the bunch for general on road use (or dirty old truck use...) But definitely not any good for airing down for trail use.

Also, Mr. John Cranfield of both Land Rover and NSJC fame ran the ETS TD's on his 90 and was happy with them except for use in snowy/icy conditions.

For the record, I personally have closed the door on the ETS tires for trial use.

Seriously considering Hercules Trail Digger M/Ts... $175 each for 235/85/16 at Dickie's in Avonport!! Lots of great reviews too.

You use them in the winter?

Limited use.. However when it was driven it was always snow and ice or very poor conditions and they handled great!!! I drove my car whenever 4 wheel drive wasn't required

Limited use.. However when it was driven it was always snow and ice or very poor conditions and they handled great!!! I drove my car whenever 4 wheel drive wasn't required

Interesting - I have heard the Firestones were TERRIBLE in snow / ice. Glad to hear otherwise from first hand usage.

Archived