• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Toyo Open country M/T or Firestone Destination M/T

72LandRover88

Looking at the two tires in the title. Granted the toyo's are $100 more per tire and are probably a better tire... I need to weigh cost vs benefit.

Looking at these two in particular because I will do the payment plan through the canex and they deal with ok tire.

The toyo would likely be a much better choice for a DD type vehicle but the rover is nothing close to that.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about either? Reviews online are mostly positive for both so will probably end up going with the Firestone's unless there have been bad enough experiences form those on here to change my decision.

Thoughts?

Year round tire Adam, or dedicated wheeling tires? If year round, go with the Toyo's. MT's are useless in slush & Ice as there is not much siping but the Toyos have a little bit in the centre of the tread blocks. This is not based on personal experience, though on a Nissan Xterra forum, the 2 have been discussed often in cold weather and the Toyo's come out above the Firestone in the winter reviews. For the other "season" we have here in NS, both are considered to be equal.

Here's a survey on TireRack.com. The Firestones did very well, 2nd only to KM2s but the Toyos weren't included in the category. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORMT&sortValue=0&tireSearch=true&showwp=N&showdp=N&showws=N&showcm=N

Toyo M/T's are not licensed to sell by Tirerack.com, that's why you will not see reviews. Only know that from another forum and no one there knows why.

I am running the toyo's. They wear very well, but they are very heavy. My 35's are 81 lbs a piece, something you may want to ask is about weight. Winter driving I find they have lots of traction moving forward or reverse but breaking sucks the big one. toyo's are also 10 ply Range E.

Hope this helps. Also talk to Mr.Gray as he is very knowledgable about the tires.

You're right James. I looked cross post and Adam is looking for 235/85/16's. They are about 45-50lbs vs. Ron's 81lbs.

Adam seriously consider Goodyear Duratracs! They were my first choice in a tire for year round without compromise. I only went with MT's due to the Kijiji find and will be purchasing a dedicated set of studded winters in the fall (already have the rims :) )

Ron, I thought you had a set of dedicated studded winters for the FJ?

Yes, I have 3 left, shale got the fourth. They are firestone winterforce tires studded and they worked very good for stopping but I found the toyos were more stable on the fj and had more take off traction. The firestones were what I drove through slip and slide with though and they performed very well there as you all well know.

The only bad reviews I've seen of the firestones are form those that were unhappy with them in the winter (who would have thought a MUD terrain tire would not do too well on ICE!!)Toyos are definately a better tire and I do like the fact that I've seen them in action.

Both the firestones and toyos are 10ply but will weigh much less than Ron's mostly due to the much smaller size.

I would consider duratracs but I want something more aggressive. The tires I have now are BF Goodrich Commercial T/A's and are a great all-road tire but again, I want something more aggressive for my non daily driver. Also, I don't think they are available at ok tire and I will not be going anywhere other than ok tire. This is simply because of the Canex payment, they only do it through ok tire. equal payments, no interest for 12 or 24 months.

Love to hear from someone with firestone experience...

Are you staying with the 235-85-16 or will you be going a bit wider like a 265-75-16? The tire will be the same height but it'll be 1" wider section and put a lot more tread on the ground. Will your rims take a wider tire or would there be clearance issues?

Archived