• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Small Wind Farm Coming To Beaverbank

Guest Eastcoastcam

Tara and I went to a local town hall meeting this evening. One of the items up for discussion (well, not so much of a discussion, more like info) is a proposed Wind Farm, consisting of four wind turbines, enough to generate power for at least the Beaverbank area.

Shitty part about it is these turbines will be located on Barrett land in the vicinty of Grand Daddy HIll :(. If approved, they will start construction around Spring of 2014, and operational around by Winter 2014.

s***ty part about it is these turbines will be located on Barrett land in the vicinty of Grand Daddy HIll :(. If approved, they will start construction around Spring of 2014, and operational around by Winter 2014.

I assume they would be on top of Grand Daddy? Although the "gathering area" where we had our little cookout is pretty windy too... I wouldn't think wind turbine windy though.

No they near the top, but along the ridge, but not TOO close to the existing powerline(s). They are in the vicinity of, but from the maps showing their proposed location it looks like they are not ON GD Hill, but their construction could affect access, and recreational use of the area.

I tried finding them online last night and couldn't. But if I come accross them, I will post them here, as it is LAND USE related, and not trail locations. Dave Barrett is supporting it, as it will be generating power for Beaverbank directly. He was even out to another larger windfarm, and was surprised about the way people complain about them. So if things pass through the Government levels, and NSP/Emera, they have the backing of the landowner at this time. I doubt there would be anything we could do. I posted this for information purposes mainly.

He wants people to stick to the roads in there, and not chewing up around the sides. Illegal dumping and vandalism are other major concerns and are the reasons for restricted access to Barrett's land. Yes people can get gate keys, but he generally frowns upon large groups in there on their land. The Barrets put on a little land use seminar in order to get a gate key. I intend on doing it, and getting a key.

Is it a CommFit project or a private development? The province is pushing Community and Not for Profit groups to develop renewable energy projects and the ROI is attractive. Here's a wind map of NS so you can really see why the larger wind farms are where they are and where potential exists for more.

NS-Wind-Resource-80m.pdf

Archived