• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Radio store

Guest jay

If it's just for use on trail runs, have you considered the simplicity of a handheld CB? They don't have the 'Sex Appeal' of a big fancy unit with a whip, but they're less money and require no wiring, mounting, or tuning the antenna. And you can use them outside of your rig. :king:

I bought all of my components online. Paid about 2/3 of the cost from local vendors (Big Stop, The Source, Walmart, Canadian Tire, etc).

Also check out a local tractor Trailer dealership, It's wasn't until after I bought my stuff that I informed they carry a wide selection of CB equipment.

Cool some great suggestions, thanks.

I saw Walmart and thesource et-al had gear listed online and in stock but after a trip to the stores I found that's not the case.

I did consider a handheld....I'm on the fence....definitely has pros and cons.

A trip to Enfield this morning I think :-)

Cheers

The Same little Midland I have is 90$ at the Source, 70$ @ Steve's, and ...30$US @ Radio Shack in the US.

If you were to get a handheld, get one that you can connect a vehicle mounted antenna. Then you can get a magnet mounted, or permanent mounted antenna for better range, if you wanted to as well.

Future Shop has them listed online as well, iirc, but it sounds like you want the immediate satisfaction of having the box in your hands when you fork over the dough ;)! I am the same way with most things, haha!

personally id stay away fr "steves radio and alarm",..his prices are wayyyyyyy outragous.. :glare: ....irving big stop has mostly mic/antennas ,think they are getting away from radio stuff not as much stock as they use to have .....but check it outanyways ....

so I'm 1/3rd the way there...went to the Enfield big stop - no radios, but a few mounts, mics and 4ft whips.

Though I'd check out Steve's and had a chat with him and bought a cheepo mag mount for the roof as a starter.

just need a radio and I'll be set

The Source, Once in a blue moon has CB for 60-100$

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Citizen+Band&product=8002320

But for a import and duel purpose wheeling/daily I would get the one below. I know my 4runner, Ain't got much room for a radio as is. Mines installed below my radio ( I removed my double din ) I know Tyler, and a couple other friends have one, Only see the Mic/Handset. Takes up little space.

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Citizen+Band&product=8008555

Compaired to this.

598536_10151327351106241_1694947170_n.jp

I might just pulled the trigger on a Cobra 18WXSTII as it'll fit on my free 1-din. Seems to have a lot of features for $75 & free delivery

http://www.amazon.ca/Cobra-18WXSTII-40-Channel-CB-Radio/dp/B00005N5WU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368202422&sr=8-1&keywords=18WXSTII

Before you order, pull the dash apart to check for clearance. These radios are usually deeper than a standard radio. I've heard of people having issues. Especially with the connection for the cable at the back. it adds about 3" to the total overall length.

bought a cheepo mag mount for the roof as a starter.

I highly recommend you take that back, you will hate it.

I used one for exactly one trail ride while I was waiting to get my 4' whip installed and every single time I went by a tree (narrow trails around here) the stupid antenna fell off. By the end of the run it was broken and I just ended up taking it off and throwing it in the back seat.

I highly recommend you take that back, you will hate it.

I used one for exactly one trail ride while I was waiting to get my 4' whip installed and every single time I went by a tree (narrow trails around here) the stupid antenna fell off. By the end of the run it was broken and I just ended up taking it off and throwing it in the back seat.

I'm sure you're right, I can see this one coming off too....we'll see ;-)

I do want a 4 foot+ but not sure where I can mount it as the rear bumper sides are plastic

I do want a 4 foot+ but not sure where I can mount it as the rear bumper sides are plastic

A lot of guys will build a bracket off their tail light screws. I'm not sure how yours are setup. Do you have a spare tire mount or anything on the back of the X? The spare is under the rear bumper, isn't it?

google xterra cb antenna mount and you'll find a lot of info. Including how to make your own (for the roof rack rail mount, taillight mount, bumper end cap, hood, etc. It really depends on where you want it. If you go roof mount, so not go 4', 2 or 3 at max.

you're right the stock spare location is underneath. The rear is very flat...tail light screws sounds interesting.

gonna see this tonight, it looks a bit crusty but for that price and who cares as long as it works...so I might be in business tomorrow :-)

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Cobra-CB-Radio-W0QQAdIdZ481307924

If I don't know the person selling it, I will leave it; when it comes to Kijiji and used electronics. Unless of course it can be proven to work as it should.

Archived