• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Bowater ...Good News???

Eastcoastcam

Good news!!! :)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2013/04/24/ns-atv-bowater.html

All-terrain vehicle riders are celebrating the unexpected news the former Bowater lands in Nova Scotia will soon be open for recreational use.

In December the Nova Scotia government bought a large tract of private forest land that belonged to Resolute Forest Products Ltd. Now the province controls over 220,000 hectares of woods and lakes in province's southwestern region.

News the gates will soon open came out at an ATV association meeting on Wednesday night.

Most members of the Safety Minded ATV Association said they thought the land would be off limits.

“We all thought about selling our bikes, getting rid of our fishing gear and everything else,” said Rob McNair.

Instead, the director of enforcement for the Department of Natural Resources delivered a pleasant surprise.

“We're comfortable now that we're ready to open these gates and allow people to enjoy this oasis that's in their backyards,” said John Mombourquette.

The gates were built by the paper company to keep the public out. Now the huge swath of land near Halifax will be open for motorized recreation.

The same applies to two other large properties as well.

“Oh it's great news. We come here thinking it's going to be all doom and gloom, thinking we won't be able to drive our bikes back there and now we got positive reinforcement, we can drive our bikes back there now. It's fantastic,” said McNair.

Wetlands, and ecologically sensitive areas will be off limits to ATVs, something the association is promising to respect.

“It's our land, it's crown land, and it's up to us to be stewards of it and be part of the process of making it safe in there and maintaining. This is some of the best news we've heard for a while for the residents of Nova Scotia,” said association member Mike Mariott.

Well reaction is mostly positive; there are some concerns about litter, careless fires, and break-ins at private camps.

The gates are expected to open at the end of the month.

Souncs like I better finsh my yota so I can go exploring with yas my first run will still be elershouse bit maybe with enuff intrest we can come out in some unfamilare lands

Yeah i was talking a old co worker whos also a member of NSORRA yesterday about this and also got some more info about the Range. Theyre gonna protect some areas, but basically be open for ALL. As for the range, It was basically the old mayor not wanting anything around there ( range )

Here's the press release:

Province Opens Roads on Western Crown Land

Department of Natural Resources

April 29, 2013 1:12 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A social media release, with audio clips, is available at http://novascotia.ca/news/smr/2013-04-29-Crown-Lands/ . Hi-res downloadable photos will be added after the event.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The roads are now open to Nova Scotia's new Crown land in the province's western region, the former Bowater Mersey land.

"The land now belongs to Nova Scotians and it is important to us economically, environmentally and socially," said Community Services Minister Denise Peterson-Rafuse, on behalf of Natural Resources Minister Charlie Parker. "The lakes, streams and woods on this land were always accessible on foot or by paddling and we are now providing road access to vehicles, so long as they stay on the road."

The province purchased 555,000 acres of land from the former Bowater Mersey mill. Three large pieces of that land have 2,500 kilometres of forest roads that were blocked off by the previous owners. Thirteen road gates are now open, providing access to 1,700 kilometres of forest roads. Provincial Crown land policy allows Nova Scotians access to all provincially owned land, except where restricted for appropriate reasons, such as ecological protection.

"We're very pleased that the province has decided to open the gates on the former Bowater forest roads," said Tony Rodgers, executive director, Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters. "Better road access to the land is something we've been hoping to see for a long time, and it will greatly improve opportunities for fishing and safe hunting."

Government worked with Nova Scotians to discuss sustainable plans for the land. Nine public open-house consultations were held across the western region to focus on ways to use the new Crown land for economic, social and environmental benefits. The consultation period ended April 19.

"With this expanded access will come much responsibility," said Mike Marriott, president, Safety Minded ATV Association. "These public lands, available for public use, will require everyone to respect them as we do our own properties, and to use them responsibly, safely, and leave the areas as we found them.

"What a legacy to leave our kids, who now will have the opportunity to carry on with preserving this jewel of Nova Scotia for future generations."

Some areas of the western Crown land are ecologically sensitive, and in order to protect it for future generations, they will remain off-limits to vehicle traffic. Some of the road gates are on private land, and will remain closed as the province works with land owners to determine if those roads will be opened in the future.

To view a map of the opened roads on the western Crown land, visit http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr .

:king:

I am curious to see how this all plays out.

Most articles seem to be focused on OHV registered vehicle use. That combined with the statement made on behalf of the natural resources minister regarding staying on the road makes me wonder if this news is not as good as many (including myself) originally thought.

• 1 year later...

https://www.facebook.com/teambowater

There are over 500 geocaches in this area and more to come.

I can personally confirm that Jeeps and other off roaders are allowed on these roads and trails.

You can enter at either the 101 near Ellershouse (tight fit, there is a dam to cross and railroad tracks to go down) or several entrance points on the 103.

Most trails are wide where no branches will scratch your pretty paint.

There are many different terrains to discover back here from rocks to mud, to washouts to clear cut areas, there is even a sand pit.

You can spend many hours back in these parts if you like just watch for ATV's, side-by-sides, bikes of both motor and foot power and your occasional walker and their dog.

PM me if you would like some details on the Geocaching aspect of these trails.

I dont know if you noticed but its a 2 year old post. A lot of people go there now. Eugene ( SAR4x4 ) organized the mud run and ran us through some really old trails last summer. Its a great area to go wheeling

I dont know if you noticed but its a 2 year old post. A lot of people go there now. Eugene ( SAR4x4 ) organized the mud run and ran us through some really old trails last summer. Its a great area to go wheeling

LOL I didn't even look at the date of this thread. I guess most of the info has already been learned, but how about a bump for geocaching :oops:

Archived