• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

fenders and the laws of them

FLTLNR

next up THE LAW

to the best of my knowledge (right now) i have read in the MVI manual as well as a couple of online sources for vehicle law in Nova Scotia, i have determined, and question the following:

Nova Scotia - Motor Vehicle Act CHAPTER 293 OF THE REVISED STATUTES, 1989

Dropping contents of vehicle and mudguards

199 (2) Every motor vehicle and every trailer shall be equipped with mudguards, fenders or flaps adequate to reduce effectively the wheel spray or splash of water from the roadway to the rear of the vehicle or trailer, unless the spray or splash is effectively reduced by the body of the vehicle or trailer or by a trailer drawn by the vehicle.

the above has been updated, but wording is the same.

so i ask my fellow offroaders this:

assuming that over spray is contained can we:

a) run fenderless in fair weather

b) run with reduced fender width (ie smittybilt XRC fender armour)

this is a bit of an extreme but paints my picture

c) use fenders that completely cover wheels

if i were to go to a 12.5" deep wheel, would i need extensions?

Considering the 4x4 Tech Fourm is only 4 pages long, I see no need to seperate it by catagory, because well its only 4 pages long and some are very OLD topics from back in the day so not much searching to do. I could see if maybe was 100 topics a day, but only couple a week. Just alot of work for the mods/admins for really no gain.

When you need specific technical info; your best bet will be to check out forums like jeepforum.com, if you don't get answers here or on NSJC of course ;) . Our forum isn't so big, and it's search works really well.

Regarding your fenders/flares..

a) no

b) nope, not without extensions

c) No ...but a 12.5" tire is going to stick out some, but will only really draw the ire of enforcement officials if they're in a shitty mood.

I see a need for it. My 101 electrical, that I'm working on is already 4+ posts in a single thread (not done yet!).

I like the idea of a "How-To" section for tech articles like that (without chitchat), done by our forum members; but not a need in having a subforum for every different aspect of vehicles. A detailed how-to article, complete with step-by-step instructions with related pics and tips takes time to put together and makes a job take longer to get done, its a shame to see them fade away as the forum grows.

so, if there is no overspray, does that not make the "reduce effectively the wheel spray or splash of water from the roadway to the rear of the vehicle or trailer, unless the spray or splash is effectively reduced by the body of the vehicle" a moot point?

also, this (should) mean front fenders are reducible.

so, if there is no overspray, does that not make the "reduce effectively the wheel spray or splash of water from the roadway to the rear of the vehicle or trailer, unless the spray or splash is effectively reduced by the body of the vehicle" a moot point?

also, this (should) mean front fenders are reducible.

Yes :smiley-rolleyes005: / No :biggthumpup: ... :blink:

:smiley-signs053: ?

Clear like a brick wall :thinking:

All left up to interpitation of the enforcement officer

and there lies the problem ...the opinion of somebody who would rather be the biggest ******* he can be, than someone who is informative and has common sense.

Not going to sub-divide the forums like that - we underwent a massive consolidation about a year ago and forum activity has shot through the roof (not the only reason, but I believe contributing). Too many forums (and especially sub forums) makes things confusing.

We could do a curated "how-to" section if you guys want, but a general form vs. one for every specific aspect of a vehicle.

Our search function works very well.

Ok, thw forum idea is solved. I will edit it when i get home. But thanks for the heads up on the fenders. I like to ask annoying questions before i move to modify my vehicle.

I will say this, Ontario the tires can not stick out more than an inch from the fenders. Flares like I have on the FJ would probably work if you want to be safer than sorry. I do not know how much the fine would be but I personally would cover the tread to alleviate run ins.

Problem is not only with the tread exposed on the side of the vehicle, but also the tread exposed (spray) at the rear of the vehicle. Rigs get warned/cited all the time for missing a mud flap on the rear set. I can tell you for certain that my X lifted and OEM plastic flaps removed, I throw A LOT of water behind me above 80 km/hr!

On the + side, it's great in the winter when you get an a$$hat on your rear bumper at a light or sign...quick push of the skinny pedal and they get a windshield full of snow!

lol that reminds me of a story.

in ontario i used to work with my uncle (he was the plant manager) and i lived in his basement. So, we would naturally carpool as well. we were in the business of coating removal (side note: that is rust, paint etc etc any metal or material). We would get grounding clips from toyota i think for their jigs (part racks for those that dont know) when they filled up with layers of paint and were unusable. Now, since they were made of a non-ferous metal they had to be stripped with a "cold" paint stripper. I cant remember the name of the chemical but it is NOT available for civilian use. this stuff works at room temperature over a long period of time. It would explode if you look at it funny and if you didnt want kids, just inhale a breath or two. As well, it would not eat plastic and other materials.

We got the idea, when we were being tailgated, to take the rear washer nozzle on a mini van and turn it upside down (so it sprayed up in a cloud pattern). We also intended on setting up a secondary reservoir to power this system. The trap would have been set, just hose the victim ....err .... offender. When they get home and it rains next and/or next car wash, they would have a fantastic new paint job that we like to call "the leopard" .

Never came to fruition though, sad.

Archived