• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

2010 Frontier Pro 4X

Command

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Problems are for the most part fixed. The body work took longer than expected so I go back Monday to get the u-joint (I took pictures :P) and rear differential looked at.

post-698-0-90836200-1370030018_thumb.jpg

post-698-0-26448000-1370030053_thumb.jpg

Nice, did you give John the specs for the bar mounts when you ordered?

I'll be ordering a rear bar from him in the near future to add additional reverse/flood lights. He does excellent work! I also ordered all of my Firestik CB stuff from him!

Nice! Most LED's have fixed mounts!

Yeah I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised. All the mounting points are adjustable to anywhere along the entire length of the light.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my Xoskell and could mount my light bar :) Had a few difficulties but all in all I like it. I ran the wiring through my satelite radio antenna (I don't use it anyways). I removed the actual antenna and drilled holes through the outer and inner casing, then stripped the wire casing away in order to run the wires through the factory screw and nut mount into the cab. By using the factory holes and hardware I have a water tight seal throughout, but did silicone around where the hole was drilled on the satellite radio outer housing.

The Xoskell itself

post-698-0-60526100-1371698866_thumb.jpg

How the wire is routed

post-698-0-70350100-1371698870_thumb.jpg

Both bars mounted

post-698-0-01975000-1371698874_thumb.jpg

Inside my cab, wires routed where the factory satellite antenna wires were

post-698-0-33174700-1371698877_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

So everytime I post something up and ask for advice I always learn something, so I guess I'm gonna learn today. I am still noticing a bit of a lag when accelerating at certain RPM's (appears to be between 1000 and 2000 mostly) and at higher RPM's (3000 and 4000, sometimes as low as 2000) the transmission hangs on a gear for quite awhile at times. This has happened since the accident after a car hit my rear axle (I informed the insurance company about this at the time) they said they looked at it but honestly I hav my suspicions. So I decided to look for myself today.

I asked a buddy of mine how much fluid should be in my rear diff, he told me to unscrew the check bolt and stick my finger in and bend it down, if you have oil on your finger your good (its a good approximation anyways). So I did, when I unscrewed the bolt to check it the fluid appeared to come up and out of the hole (my check bolt is a about halfway up the diff) which I was not expecting but did manage to get the bolt back in quickly enough and did not lose very much oil. At least I know there is oil there lol but how do you fill it past the hole? haha. So from an oil stand point all is ok.

So I jacked the rear end up so that both rear tires where off the ground and spun the tires by hand. I had the truck in park and when I spun one tire the other spun in the opposite direction, which its suppose to do although there appeared to be some play in the diff. The only thing I noticed was the noise, the noise is quite noticeable and it sounds like your spinning the wheel on the price is right. It appears to be coming from the axle ends where the wheels are, although I thought I could hear it coming from the diff as well.

So to narrow it down I put the truck in neutral (since each tire should spin independently from one another, right?) This time when I spun one tire the other would kinda turn and the axle would also kinda turn then "dis-engage". It appeared that something wasn't engaging or dis-engaging correctly, which would explain why when I accelerate I hear the engine revving up but there is a slight delay before the truck actually picks up and goes.

Maybe nothing to worry about but hopefully I will continue to learn a tad more about my rig :) To me it doesn't seem right (especially the noise) and as always I have attached a video (the first part is dark, had it to just record the noise.) BTW the video is while the truck is in neutral.

http://youtu.be/K2DJLEL4w_M

That's FAWK'd. The noise you are hearing is likely coming from the main gear set or the spider gears. That clicking is not normal. You are likely hearing it at the wheel ends as it is resonating through the axle shafts. In the accident, did the other vehicle contact the wheel itself? There was an instance on an Xterra where the pinion bearing was damaged and this caused misalignment in the rear axle which caused it to fail just a few months after the accident.

As for the diff fluid, that is normal. fluid should be just at the lowest part of the fill plug opening, but with the warm weather, fluids expand.

The tires are normal to spin in opposite directions in the air (unless equipped with LSD or locker).

With something "off" in the rear end, the ECU will pull power when it senses different wheel speeds (thinks on is spinning or slipping); it's all related. The trans will hang if there is imbalance between them as it has to "wait" for the ECU to provide info from the ABS system to determine the gear to be in. Get that to a shop ASAP! I would recommend the Nissan dealer in D'town. Ask for Chris to be the tech to work on it, he's awesome!

Also, if you have an option to buy the old one back, let me know! I want the locker!

1) If oil oil seeps out of the hole for the bung, that is where it should be. You fill it up until the oil is up to the bottom of the hole.

2) When you spin one rear tire, and the other one spins the opposite way, that is normal as well. You have an open differential. Do you have a locker in the rear? If you do and it is engaged, the wheels should spin the same way, i believe.

3) Your noise could be broken teeth on either the ring gear or pinion? Maybe you should remove the diff cover and take a look the inside. Check in your manual for what you need for gear oil, and if you need an addidtive as well and have those first. Make sure to have an oilpan under it when you pop the cover off to catch the oil. Before putting the cover back on clean the mating surfaces and apply a gasket sealant like "The Right Stuff" and then replace the cover and refill with oil.

Do you still have warranty on the truck? Have the stealership guys listen to it and explain the noise to you. Yes it may make a little noise, but I agree with you that it sure sounds WRONG. :(

That's FAWK'd. The noise you are hearing is likely coming from the main gear set or the spider gears. That clicking is not normal. You are likely hearing it at the wheel ends as it is resonating through the axle shafts. In the accident, did the other vehicle contact the wheel itself?

Yea, thats where the bulk of the other vehicle hit, on the wheel.

With something "off" in the rear end, the ECU will pull power when it senses different wheel speeds (thinks on is spinning or slipping); it's all related. The trans will hang if there is imbalance between them as it has to "wait" for the ECU to provide info from the ABS system to determine the gear to be in. Get that to a shop ASAP! I would recommend the Nissan dealer in D'town. Ask for Chris to be the tech to work on it, he's awesome!

That's right, I remember us having that discussion lol.

Also, if you have an option to buy the old one back, let me know! I want the locker!

Lol will do!

Also, did you try to spin the passenger wheel? With a broken spider gear, sometimes you can find that spot where the wheel spins freely!

I did, they both sound like that.

Do you still have warranty on the truck? Have the stealership guys listen to it and explain the noise to you. Yes it may make a little noise, but I agree with you that it sure sounds WRONG. :(

I do still have warranty, so I do not want to pull things apart......yet lol until I see what they say (whether its under warranty or not)

You got it! Don't do any R&R on your own. I'm still trying to find the thread on the Xterra site where the person was having the same issue as you, but have not been able to locate it (site crashed in 2010 and some threads were lost). He had the exact issue you are having and then his rear diff went boom (locked up on a hwy off ramp). Slight variations in wheel speed will not throw the SLIP light, but will still pull power & cause trans shifting issues.

Go to the dealership in D'town and demand that Chris is the tech! He place 3rd in the world at a Nissan competition in 1999. Dave (Xman) will also back this up!

I will always try and schedule my appointments around Chris' schedule whenever possible, he's really good and I find he's always honest and straightforward with me. Yea I have noticed a vibration coming from the rear end at highway speeds, not gonna lie I almost pulled the diff cover off today haha.

True enough, but with these warranties you never know. They're just looking for an out lol. Appointment for next Thursday, should have known it wouldn't have been for anytime soon.

Archived