• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Exhaust

Guest Command

I put in a CAI a little while ago and have noticed a pretty good increase in power and fuel economy. I want to make it "complete" with a new exhaust, I would like to cut out the factory "Y" and just run a dual pipe to a dual in dual out muffler. Here in lies the question, which muffler to use? I want an aggressive sound (not to loud but a nice rumble at idle and an aggresive sound while accelerating etc) with little drone (I realize there will be some). I have looked at magnaflow, flowmaster, dynomex, gibson and borla, I like Borla but I don't know of any local dealers. I heard that people prefer flowmaster over magnaflow, so I would like your opinion on which muffler is best (or would best suit this application), pro's and con's and general opinions. Thanks!

I would suggest NOT cutting the Y pipe out. At the very least switch to an X pipe. This is because you will lose the scavenger effect of the crossover. If you do that you will loose low end torgue.

That said, in my ram I had a 4" cat-back with a 6" tip from Gibson. It was loud, REALLY LOUD. The legal limit in this province, at an idle, is 91dB. I was running 87dB. When the engine wasnt under load and thoroughly warm, it was very hard to hear at times. But, and this was all the time due to loving the sound, I would take off and allow all the rice rockest know exactly where I am.

I'm sold on Magna-Flow systems. I have one on my Grand with a Hemi and I had one on my Jiberty with a 3.7 before this. They are substantially heavier (and tougher) than the factory stainless system, and they double as a skid plate. The price for your Frontier, on MagnaDirect.ca, is just over $715 but I have found that Peck's in Digby always has much better prices. They can also get Borla, which will be more $$. You could also try APJs or CVO. Your system comes with the 2 pipes into 1 muffler and 3" pipe to a 3.5" tip.

I would suggest NOT cutting the Y pipe out. At the very least switch to an X pipe. This is because you will lose the scavenger effect of the crossover. If you do that you will loose low end torgue.

That is something I did not know about the Y pipe, thats good to know. Thanks.

I'm sold on Magna-Flow systems. I have one on my Grand with a Hemi and I had one on my Jiberty with a 3.7 before this. They are substantially heavier (and tougher) than the factory stainless system, and they double as a skid plate. The price for your Frontier, on MagnaDirect.ca, is just over $715 but I have found that Peck's in Digby always has much better prices. They can also get Borla, which will be more $$. You could also try APJs or CVO. Your system comes with the 2 pipes into 1 muffler and 3" pipe to a 3.5" tip.

I'm assuming thats for a cat back system? I'm not looking into that system as of yet, I'm just looking for a higher performance muffler to compliment the CAI at this point (granted a full cat back system would be better)

Most of these trucks are built that run exhaust to 1 side, I know mine I cannot because gas tank on the driver side.

If your gonna run duel, Its gonna cost more And another pipe to get ripped off or damaged...

I would just cut out the muffler and put new one in its place... I run a borla muffler, with a MIT ( modular Intake - pipe to go between the airbox and TB) and a K&N Filter..

That is something I did not know about the Y pipe, thats good to know. Thanks.

I'm assuming thats for a cat back system? I'm not looking into that system as of yet, I'm just looking for a higher performance muffler to compliment the CAI at this point (granted a full cat back system would be better)

You say not a cat back system here, but describe exactly that with your opening post. Once you cut the Y out and run dual pipes into the muffler, whether or not you put a crossover in or not; you are essentially doing a whole system.

Is your catalytic converter after the Y or do you have. 2 ? If it is, and you do what you say in you first post, then would you need 2 cats? That makes for more work higher cost.

just a muffler will do next to nothing other than change tone. think of a pipe, the most narrow point is what will restrict the most. so if you are running (just numbers out of my ***) engine > 1.5" 4-2-1 < 2.5" here manifold to a 2.5" cat, to a 2.5" pipe to a 2.5" in/3.5" out muffler. Your CFM doesnt change. therefore no noticable gains for the money

running the same headers and same cat that changes to a 4" all the way back will reduce restriction far better, but still not as good as it can be.

jacking the diameter right from the engine through the tail pipe is the best way to go, just costly.

You say not a cat back system here, but describe exactly that with your opening post. Once you cut the Y out and run dual pipes into the muffler, whether or not you put a crossover in or not; you are essentially doing a whole system.

Is your catalytic converter after the Y or do you have. 2 ? If it is, and you do what you say in you first post, then would you need 2 cats? That makes for more work higher cost.

The Y is after the catalytic converter's (yes I have 2), which is why I don't consider what I want to do as a cat back. the Y is just before the muffler and I am curious whether or not I would notice any performance/mileage changes if I replace the stock muffler. But as FLTLNR pointed out in the above post it appears I wouldn't really notice much at all.

I dunno about that. I dynoed my Honda Accord with a AEM CAI, DC Sport Header, High Flow Cat and a Magnaflow Catback Exhaust and I gained a whole wopping 3WHP and 5FT of TQ over stock Accord with NO upgrades.

Alot of these "products" are dynoed in Lower Altitude, warmer weather and better quality of fuel so the gains WE see are not whats advertised.

I'm really surprised you only gained 3 hp on your vehicle after all of that. So what were you starting and ending numbers? Did you dyno after each mod or only after all were done? Where can I go to get my Grand dyno tested?

449 for the header, 730 for the exhaust, 90 for the Highflow Cat, 250 for the intake, wopping 3 HP. Wouldn't matter anyone buddy dyno the same car, same engine, same trans, close to the same mileage and mine was 3whp more. so 20% power train loss, maybe 10 BHP increase, but 3 to the wheels. Those # they advertise are also base horse power BHP ( power at the crank ) not whats to the wheels (WHP) so you gotta factor in your 15- 20% drivetrain loss. Power lost, going from motor, thru the trans, thru the axle, to the wheels.

I can tell you also the # for my 4runner, Dynoed it last year Same exhaust, same style intake ( 13% lower then it should, but was 123 RWHP, 149Ft Lbs ) Once a year a shop out in bayers lake ( Ravens Autosport ) runs what we call Dyno Day, pay 20$ dyno your rig, money goes to the IWK.

A tune will also annihilate any warranty doesnt it?

Wouldn't know never had a vech with a warranty so I was free to do whatever I wanted. But all I was saying, tuning the ECU is the only way to really get the most power, bolt on mods only do sooo much, its the ECU that controls everything.

Would my truck fit on the dyno? I'd love to test it. I bet I have a whopping 100 hp at the rear wheels! Then someday a crate or proper rebuild. My truck was 145 new........ the smog years!

Something that big, I'm gonna say no.

I know oniondip dyno his old chev on the old dyno when it used to be on a trailer. But the new mustang dyno in shop It kinda sucks to get on it esp RWD backing up on it and my a** end was close to the wall.

Also bigger the exhaust isn't always better, I was told only need to go as big as the exhaust manifold output.

Only way to UN-restict is straight pipe but that's not legal, but then you get into the no back pressure which is required for most EFI to run proper and accord to MVI you must have what the vech came with. If it has a cat, res, muffler, then must have everything.

My some friends from the Russian forum put here such "Power box", told that capacity increased approximately by 25 h.p.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chip-Diesel-Tuning-With-Remote-Control-Power-Box-To-All-Car-COMMON-RAIL-ENGINES-/251247900072?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7f8ab5a8&vxp=mtr

post-777-0-12190900-1364187511_thumb.jpg

I have headers and dual exhaust, 2.5", but it was largely put on to replace smog manifolds. I don't have a cross-over or X-pipe, don't know if they would help any. But as I said in the CAI thread, it would likely only make a real difference at wot! However,

my mufflers are dynomax, and if you've heard my truck under light / heavy throttle they sound gooooood. I like going up the Bi-Hi on-ramp from Joe Howe and it echos off the walls and then the folks in the truck can hear it as well!

Archived