• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Local expeditions

doms

Another great resource is the local ATV & Snowmobile clubs. Many of them have apps available to show the trails and most of these trails are passable for us (bridges not included ;) ).

This is what we have been doing locally for the expolration of new trails!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

A bit of an update on the La Poile Trip :

The "Dry Run" went well, no mechanicals. Yes, I did get stuck.

DSCN1132.JPG

Ferry is booked, roof rack is finished:

P7280029.JPG

More feedback from folks in the area advising that it is impossible to drive there. Not fussed by this. We'll give it a shot and if it doesn't work out we'll fish & drink!

The "Dry Run" went well, no mechanicals. Yes, I did get stuck

More feedback from folks in the area advising that it is impossible to drive there. Not fussed by this. We'll give it a shot and if it doesn't work out we'll fish & drink!

That's the spirit B)!!!

I know that there was a discussion not too long ago about GPS apps. I went for a little exploration on Sunday and used MotionX-GPS on my iPhone. Incredible app, I did a loop of almost 50 miles and when I got back home I could share it to my Facebook page or with friends who also have the app. It graphed out my speed, elevation, and overlaid the trek on BingMaps. You can even add photos along your route which are linked to the coordinates. Be aware though that it's not a FREE app, it sells for $0.99 :king:

I know that there was a discussion not too long ago about GPS apps. I went for a little exploration on Sunday and used MotionX-GPS on my iPhone. Incredible app, I did a loop of almost 50 miles and when I got back home I could share it to my Facebook page or with friends who also have the app. It graphed out my speed, elevation, and overlaid the trek on BingMaps. You can even add photos along your route which are linked to the coordinates. Be aware though that it's not a FREE app, it sells for $0.99 :king:

Scott has that app. We used it for SAR4x4's Renfrew Rally last fall when we tested the directions and map to see how easy it was to follow. It worked excellent, very accurate B)

It was kind of strange because I had no cell signal so there was no map on my screen while exploring but once I got back to an area with coverage, the map info filled in. The GPS functions fine without the cell coverage. Next time I do this, I'll try using my Canada Topo Maps and let the MotionX track my route.

Archived