• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Local expeditions

doms

Im living in Nine Mile River but from Cape Breton and do a lot of wheeling there. Im from a place called Orangedale which is near whycocomagh. There are tones of places to wheel and great views and this would be a great spot to do a weekend wheeling and campig trip in the wild. You can get from the causway to cheticamp without barly touching paved road. there is a lot of dirt road and mild to med difficualty trail along the way. The link below are pics that i took last summer while wheeling in Cape Breton.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151131493152708.459709.503372707&type=1&l=c442c9d023

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150918567637708.434144.503372707&type=1&l=18b70ccae3

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im living in Nine Mile River but from Cape Breton and do a lot of wheeling there. Im from a place called Orangedale which is near whycocomagh. There are tones of places to wheel and great views and this would be a great spot to do a weekend wheeling and campig trip in the wild. You can get from the causway to cheticamp without barly touching paved road. there is a lot of dirt road and mild to med difficualty trail along the way. I will post pics in the pic section on the forum that i took last summer while wheeling in Cape Breton.

Now this would definately make for a good weekend trip, and quite possibly doable sooner rather than later. But John's plan is extremely interesting

Dad and a few of his friends did the Trans-Labrador trip on street and trail bikes (KLR 650's and a BMW something something) starting / ending in St. John's, NL - going up through NL, Labrador, Quebec, New Brunswick, NS, and back to NL. I think that would be a lot of fun and require some serious planning (stretches of the trans-lab have no gas stations for long stretches).

Dad and a few of his friends did the Trans-Labrador trip on street and trail bikes (KLR 650's and a BMW something something) starting / ending in St. John's, NL - going up through NL, Labrador, Quebec, New Brunswick, NS, and back to NL. I think that would be a lot of fun and require some serious planning (stretches of the trans-lab have no gas stations for long stretches).

Have to carry blue barrels of gas! Haha.

Gary & I did "the loop" (NS-NB-PQ-Lab-NL-NS) back in 2010 with my veteran 4runner. There was a bike group from the States that were using a Jeep as their support vehicle ... baggage & fuel. It didn't look like they were having a lot of fun. Total trip was over 4,000km, 3 ferries & lot's of pot-holes!

DSC03048.JPG

Im living in Nine Mile River but from Cape Breton and do a lot of wheeling there. Im from a place called Orangedale which is near whycocomagh. There are tones of places to wheel and great views and this would be a great spot to do a weekend wheeling and campig trip in the wild. You can get from the causway to cheticamp without barly touching paved road. there is a lot of dirt road and mild to med difficualty trail along the way. The link below are pics that i took last summer while wheeling in Cape Breton.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151131493152708.459709.503372707&type=1&l=c442c9d023

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150918567637708.434144.503372707&type=1&l=18b70ccae3

I'm glad there are some like-minded folks getting involved here - I have always wanted to do expedition style wheeling vs. the rock crawling, mud pit, etc.

Lets throw darts at a map and see how close we can get and / or where it takes us.

You guys are right on track with my frame of mind. Our club wheelin' is awesome practice for a wheelin' expedition.

I may have to keep the G-Wagen and tart it up:)

Jim

I really like the Cape Breton idea, That truck in the picks looks really familiar. Especially all mudded up! ;)

I'm glad there are some like-minded folks getting involved here - I have always wanted to do expedition style wheeling vs. the rock crawling, mud pit, etc.

Lets throw darts at a map and see how close we can get and / or where it takes us.

I also thought it would be cool to compile a list of interesting things to try to find in Nova Scotia. I'm thinking things like water falls, plane crashes, abandoned buildings, just to see what is out there.

The other idea I had would be to see how far you can get across the province without touching pavement. i.e can you get from Sheeet Harbour to Sherbrooke all on dirt?

for the people interested in the cape breton trip, We just need to decide on weekend and ill map out enough trails to take up the weekend. There are lots of lookoffs and a few waterfalls and many lakes to camp beside. No need for extra gas as we will be poping out of the trails in villages that have fuel stations. Im thinking we hit the trail just past the causway and head to river dennys falls, then keep on to blues mills look off. from there to campbells Moutain lookoff near whycocomagh. from there head over the moutain to middle river and head up hunters moutain making our way up the highlands to cape clear lookoff. this is the lookoff in some of my pics. You drive up to it and its a 1200' cliff. then we could continue on to cheticamp. Somewhere in all that travel we would have to camp. there are a couple more water falls i could take you to such as Eygpt falls. and one other im not sure of the name of in the highlands. Any way let me know what everyone thinks and i won't mind doing the planing for this if people want to go. If this isnt what people want to do than im up for anything else such as the darts thing lol.

for the people interested in the cape breton trip, We just need to decide on weekend and ill map out enough trails to take up the weekend. There are lots of lookoffs and a few waterfalls and many lakes to camp beside. No need for extra gas as we will be poping out of the trails in villages that have fuel stations. Im thinking we hit the trail just past the causway and head to river dennys falls, then keep on to blues mills look off. from there to campbells Moutain lookoff near whycocomagh. from there head over the moutain to middle river and head up hunters moutain making our way up the highlands to cape clear lookoff. this is the lookoff in some of my pics. You drive up to it and its a 1200' cliff. then we could continue on to cheticamp. Somewhere in all that travel we would have to camp. there are a couple more water falls i could take you to such as Eygpt falls. and one other im not sure of the name of in the highlands. Any way let me know what everyone thinks and i won't mind doing the planing for this if people want to go. If this isnt what people want to do than im up for anything else such as the darts thing lol.

That sounds like a good start!

I like the sound of this. Great opportunity to have a knowledgable guide through the area.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

We should at least choose the month and then begin to narrow it down to a weekend?

Cheers,

Jim

Archived