• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What else to do.

Guest trailwalker

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Just looked on the Quadratec site

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep-replacement-parts/jeep-axles-differentials/kj-dana-35-rear.php

If yours is an '06, it has the 8.25" rear (which is good) http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Liberty/Chrysler_8.25%22

The first addition I did to my Grand was a heavy duty Rear Diff (partial) cover. I tended to curl up the edge of the factory tin cover on rocks which would cause a leak. I had one fabricated because mine has the Electronic Limited Slip (12 bolt) and I couldn't find one available. The 10 bolts are easier to find. Solid makes a really nice heavy one to replace the factory one or you can get the partial ones that go on over the existing unit. :king:

Wow, the 8.25 rear in the libertys was straight from 2002 forward, there were a few first gen ones that went out with a D35, my 03 has a chrysler 8.25, the 4cyl liberty's left the factory with 4.10 gearing while the V6 is on 3.73 gearing. The fron is a D30A pumpkin with CV axles. If you can find the front section off of a 4 cyl liberty it is the easiest way to get gears, however they were a rare breed.

lol, check out car-part.com. There is a front diff 4.10 here in Truro and another in PEI. $400 here, $750 in the island.

What size tire came stock on the Libby?

Tried to post the direct results but system challanges are preventing it. Search for it as a carrier to see the listings.

I think that gear will have to wait for now, seems a little too much for now. I am looking at this Eaton LSD for the rear now

http://jeepinbyal.com/jeep-liberty-kj/rear-drive-axle-components/chrysler-8-25-truetrac-by-eaton.html

and I think I may have found an interesting inexpensive option for the front, as cool as the JBA stuff looks it is was too much $$

anyone know anything about Aussie Lockers?

http://www.aussielocker.com/index.php/lockers.html?category=%3F&make=7&model=38&option=61&year=89

lol, check out car-part.com. There is a front diff 4.10 here in Truro and another in PEI. $400 here, $750 in the island.

What size tire came stock on the Libby?

Tried to post the direct results but system challanges are preventing it. Search for it as a carrier to see the listings.

pretty sure they were 225/75/16.

You may even have 4.10s stock but I think toms has 3.73s if you went to a 35 I would put 4.56 gears or so

^^ This. I ran the #'s for the gear set. OEM tires are 29.3, new are 31.6 w/ 3.73 gears, you'd need to re-gear to 4.02 (4.10 being closest). For that minimal difference, the cost would not justify the results. It would take you years to get back your savings in fuel. Now going to 35's, you'd need 4.40 (4.56 being closest). In that case, you would certainly want to re-gear, not necessairly for MPG, but for wear & tear on your drivetrain.

no problem, I'm in the same boat and have been for the past year or more. I have yet to figure out exactly what I want to do, but I'm doing something. In the end I ask myself "Do I really need 35's?" multiple times a day. ;)

LOL I bet some days the answer is ABSOLUTELY and most other days its not really. For me I don't think 35's will ever be an option, I do not want to get into changing drive line components, bigger lift, or extending brake lines and all that stuff....too much for me and lots of $$ plus 35's are crazy expensive

For 35's on a liberty its at least an 8 inch lift, which they don't make, they do make a 12 inch lift, however its not worth it at that point. The other option is a solid axle swap with trimming on the rear for clearance and aftermarket from bumper. Really for the liberty the thing people are going to start doing is solid axle swaps, there are already at least 2 in Atlantic Canada and when I start on mine it will be three. Gearing in the liberty I am planning on 4.10's before the solid axle swap and the gear I replace it with will be 4.56's.

For 35's on a liberty its at least an 8 inch lift, which they don't make, they do make a 12 inch lift, however its not worth it at that point. The other option is a solid axle swap with trimming on the rear for clearance and aftermarket from bumper. Really for the liberty the thing people are going to start doing is solid axle swaps, there are already at least 2 in Atlantic Canada and when I start on mine it will be three. Gearing in the liberty I am planning on 4.10's before the solid axle swap and the gear I replace it with will be 4.56's.

plus the V8 swap

Archived