• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What else to do.

Guest trailwalker

Soon I am going to have to replace the dust shields on my Liberty, to do that I have to separate the rear axle. Since I am going to have to have it apart anyway is there anything that I should replace or do and is there anything I should add back there to improve my rig.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, I hear you there, unfortunately its the mechanical stuff that can prevent the driving fun :) I have a list of thing I usually replace/inspect when doing this. One last question, do you have to pull the axle all the way or just a little to install the new shields?

all the way out. The dust shield is also attached to the thing that holds the caliper and the emerg brake guts. I have to separate in the middle and then slide them all the way out so I can take that collar off and then put the new one on. From what I understand anyway, maybe a way I don;t know about, just what I can tell from searching the forums.

Yes, you'll pull the axle shaft as a unit. Some dust shields have a "C" opening so that you can slide it over the axle after only pulling it an inch, others require you to pull the entire shaft to mount the shield.

I've done this a couple times and this is what I found you'll need

dust shields

axle seals (go into the outer axle tube. The old ones wil likely get dammaged while removing & installing the axle, cheap insurance against leaks)

When you pull the axle, check the outer bearings for any metal dis-colouration and any gritty sounds when turning. Also check for play side to side, there should be none. Not sure how the bearings are secured in the rear axle on your Libby, so you might have to look into that further.

check this pic I found. Part 19 you should replace, and parts 20 & 22, inspect

kj-dana-35-rear-axle.jpg

For that big of a tire it's not worth 1000$ or so to swap if you had a 35 or something on there it would be a bit different or if you find it struggles to get up hills ect on the highway I'm matted to the floor reving 4k plus and still struggles up hills ahah that's why I'm putting in my 4:10s very soon

Which axle is under your Libby? When I searched I found the D35. As for gearing, it will resore you mileage & power back to when you were running stock tires, but also take into consideration future mods you plan to make. It's a situation where it's easier to do it once and be done with it. Use this to get the ratio you need to run to get back to stock performance http://www.rocky-road.com/calculator.html

Archived