• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Quality Costs...but usually only once (technology)

BlackPrintz

This is pretty appropriate, I have been trying for almost 15 minutes to start this thread on my Windows laptop. My anti-virus program decidied to start running when I was going in here, so I paused it, but my computer is still running in bull low. I just wanted to make some comments about paying for quality and avoiding frustrations (how appropriate).

I have been an admirer of Apple since the Macintosh days. In our house of 3 plus my office of me, we have 2 Windows desktops, 1 Windows laptop, 2 Mac laptops (1 is almost 10 years old), 3 iPods, 2 iPhones, and 1 iPad. The Macs may have cost more than a cheap PC but they are frustration free. Having said all this, I found 2 articles today that reinforce my appreciation for the quality and design of my Apple products, actually, that applies to any product of quality and good design. I think it was Ben Franklin that said "the best is always cheapest".

So, if you're in the market for a tablet but think an iPad is too pricey, here's an opportunity to save money on a new Windows Surface Tablet, the one that Microsoft has made to blow the iPad out the water. Look for discounted prices on other Windows 8 tablets too.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/07/with-apples-ipad-besting-windows-8-microsoft-slashes-prices-alters-tactics

And, if you're not concerned with the security of your portable device, check out this http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/07/apple-marketing-chief-uses-rare-twitter-post-to-take-shot-at-android-security-issues

This is really opening a can of worms, as a certified technician I have no issues with my PC, I have had it for 6 years and it was about 2 years old when it was put together. I run windows XP and have no issues at all with it. I have had less issues with my PC than I have heard about Macs. That being said there is a place for both, if used correctly a PC can be just as efficient as a Mac, the main difference is where PC is more mainstream than Mac's 90% of all virus', hacks and other issues are built for them, hard for a Mac to crash when no one wants to hack one. That's just my two cents and that's it.

Apple touting their products as being superior to PC is ******* hilarious. It's like when they started to advertise a 2 button revolutionary mouse...that was in 2004.

Apple has been using PC parts for nearly 9 years now, at the start it was video cards and memory, now if you peel one open you'll find strictly PC components in their desktops and laptops. Nothing is different, hence being able to install Windows on Mac products without any of the programs you used to need.

The MAC OS will run on most current PC hardware too...I know, I've run it on my PC, laptop and netbook. It's the OS that makes the difference, not the hardware. Apple DOES make a sweet looking quality product though...I kick myself every time I look at my shitty Android tablet made by Asus which has had the digitizer glasses shattered TWICE from being tapped on the sides.

Macs have seen a dramatic rise in virus's in the past few years to boot, but will never see what hte PC market has been through. Because no one cares to hack a Mac.

I agree that in many cases you get what you pay for. I don't know much of these computing devices (way to much technology for me!) but I do know my experience. My wife bought a macbook (I think that's what it's called... apple laptop) in 2006 if I remember correctly... and I bought a $300 Acer laptop (17in screen!!) in 2007. I am not certain what the macbook cost but it was A LOT more than $300. My laptop turns 6 this month, that six years of more or less trouble free operation. And it has not be well taken care of, lots of rough handling and overheating. Showing it's age but it keeps chugging along with all the programs and software it came with. Wify on the other hand, had a key that stopped working early on and a casing that cracked. Repaired under warrenty. The biggest problem she's had is having to upgrade to run programs and even still there is a lot of day to day stuff that she can't do with it (has to do with her PC at work) something to do with the operating system being so far out of date. I do not think of either type as bad or good. There are lots of examples of each type being really good or really bad. Just my experience.

My Acer laptop (new, $350 in April 2012) is, was, and now is a broken P.O.S. We bought it because I just wasn't about to pay for a new hard drive and such for our old Toshiba Satellite (new, $699 in 2008 Boxing Day Sale), I didn't want to put any more money into the old computer. A couple of keys popped off the Acer after less than six months, and the screen got broke (on the inside). We were told to pound sand for warranty. Then somebody told me the Acer's HDD should work in the Toshiba, so I checked it out, and sure enough ...plugged right in. After a little help from Tom, the Toshiba is alive and kicking once again, and the Acer POS is just a pile of parts.

Again, Toshiba being a higher quality than acer. So even in the PC world there are different grades of quality, however in the Mac world, only one quality. Lets compare two computers of equal cost and then see what the difference is, you cant compare a mac to an acer, you can compare a mac to an alienware though.

I am a technology strategy consultant in my daily work life and I use an HP EliteBook with Windows 7 on it. It is serviceable, but we (as a firm) have tons of issues with the hardware. Granted, there are over 3,500 of us nationally so you are bound to find a few lemons.

At home I always ran PC / Windows until about two years ago when I bought my first Mac. I picked up a 13" MacBook Pro and I have not looked back since. I have had zero issues, everything "just works", and it looks really ******* awesome. The build quality is SUPERIOR to any PC laptop I have ever used, period. Don't even get me started on OS X vs. Windows, in my opinion there is no comparison and I struggle to use Windows on a daily basis now.

As for Mac being less targeted and therefore more stable, that is only part of the story. OS X is build on UNIX (server-grade OS) and is inherently more stable than the POS kernel Windows is built upon. Also, based on the way the security elevations and accounts are segregated in UNIX, OS X is inherently more secure than Windows which allows apps to silently elevate their security permissions and stores account passwords in a flat file... in plain text.

As for Mac being less targeted and therefore more stable, that is only part of the story. OS X is build on UNIX (server-grade OS) and is inherently more stable than the POS kernel Windows is built upon. Also, based on the way the security elevations and accounts are segregated in UNIX, OS X is inherently more secure than Windows which allows apps to silently elevate their security permissions and stores account passwords in a flat file... in plain text.

Yea I agree but, I currently will not buy a Mac. But that is just because of the gaming side of the computer world.

There are a few things I like more about my Mac than my PC. It is nice to have the hardware and OS from the same company. I found with PC, whenever you need to diagnose a problem and you try to have it covered under warrantee, Windows will try to pass it of as a hardware issue and the PC manufacturer will pass it of as a software issue. The other thing I like more is the fact that I now have a SS drive and everything is much more snappy.(not specific to Mac or PC) Just that my new one has it and my old one did not. I do find the build quality to be much nicer with aluminum vs plastic. It is much thinner and lighter. I also like the fact that it works better with my other Apple devices like my iPhone and iPad. I have not stopped using Windows completely as I just recently bought my wife a 23" tough screen with Windows 7. She wants to stay with Windows because thats what she uses at work and needs to do work from home sometimes. I have windows 8 for it as well but will not put it on for her unless the end up changing to Windows 8 at her work. I can't see that happening unless there are some major revisions to Windows 8.

If you know how to build your own PC you'll get build and quality far above and beyond any pre-built. I do this and plan for the future, makes my PC easy as balls to upgrade, replace faulty parts and I know what to blame.

Mac uses off the shelf parts for the most part, a few in-house pieces to finish it off, and they have pretty high standards. If I had the cash and liked the Mac OS I'd use one without an issue, but I'm a PC guy through and through (and a bit of a linux lover ;) )

I build my own PCs as well (including servers), but I love me some Apple hardware.

No doubt that Apples to Apples (pun fully intended) you can get WAY more Intel bang for your buck by DIYing a computer; however, Darren makes a fantastic point - having the whole Apple ecosystem makes things very easy. I have an issue (any issue) with my Mac? I call Apple or I bring it to our new Apple store and they fix it - hardware, software, issue with my printer, whatever.

What was the term Apple used years ago when they came out with the iPod and iTunes....Halo Affect? I used to swear by Dell for my work, and I still love my 30" monitor, but the last few computers have not had the same build quality as some of my earlier ones. And I didn't really open a can of worms, everyone has their own ideas, experiences, and opinions. We're all different, as you can see by our rigs. This is a good thing, otherwise we'd all drive 3 year old, silver Caravans and live in a 1200 sf bungalow in the burbs. :king:

Archived