• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

4runner is busted up pretty good haha :(

Guest My04T4R

Ummm I need alot of body work but other then that mine works awsome and guys yota should be in good shape......you guys just gota buy them 89 or older to get a good one

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like being unique as I don't know of many with a modded 4th gen in scotia that is actually taken out and wheeled, also its nice having a potent little v8 in a mid sized 4x4. Not many can say that.

I will assume that you can't by-pass the neutral safety switch? $600? Did I read that wrong? On some vehicles it just makes sure the clutch is depressed before you try to start it. Foolishness. I've moved vehicles around a yard on the starter! Easily in low range! Did you Google Toyota forums? I still can't believe that price! I used to pigtail the wires together on purpose!

I drive an '80's Chevy truck. Everything is $70. Starter, alternator, calipers, brake master cylinder, etc etc. All dirt cheap. And then you get $30 of that back when you take the core back in!

Yes you read it correctly, its an automatic transmission, its got to do with trans position also it has something to do with input and output speeds of the trans, although the 4 abs sensors is what calculates vehicle speed for the speedometer :/

Even then, the boots can be a great source of aggrevation as you have to dis-assemble the CV. Aftermarket replacements is the way to go. Replacing boots sucks! Been there on a vehicle in the past and I won't do it again. $40 for boots or $75 for a new axle asssembly, at least in my case :)

Toyota service dept quoted 600~$ for all 4 to be repaired or 1200 for two entire new assemblies, this is was a tough decision but they assured me the axles look in good condition just need the boots, also I plan on getting some RCV ultimate IFS cv assemblies after the lift and larger tires. They are 2 grand for the pair but come with a lifetime warranty, "you break them, we replace them" or so they say, what is you're guys' opinions?

Also when I get the RCVs I will have spare oem cv's for emergencys

Call NAPA to get a price. Why spend $300 on boots & labour when you can have new ones. If your boots are torn, water & debris is likely in the CV's after your last trip.

600 for all 4 boots or 1200 for two new axle assemblies, also I kind of stay awY from aftermarket parts, I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for, especially when it comes to genuine toyota parts.

Can anyone please educate me on how not to tear up my cv boots?

Sam

600 for all 4 boots or 1200 for two new axle assemblies, also I kind of stay awY from aftermarket parts, I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for, especially when it comes to genuine toyota parts.

Translation: "My Alberta money burns holes in my pocket"

Can anyone please educate me on how not to tear up my cv boots?

1) Park it...

or

2) SAS...

or

3) or buy and build a Jeep for wheeling and keep the 4Runner as a DD.

You have to remember that OEM parts are not manufacturered by Toyota, they are sourced by Toyota. Perfect example on my Xterra is the front hub assembly. $480 from Nissan or $120 from Rock auto (Tinken makes the part). The only difference is the Nissan logo on the OEM hub. Where do you think I placed my $$.

Going to NAPA for my calipers (re-man), rotors, pads, end links (lifetime), lower ball joints (lifetime) and Rock auto for my hubs saved me enough $$ to buy my Shrockworks rear bumper ($1k). I know it's a personal preference and every one has their own opinion, but at the end of the day, sometimes OEM is not the best.

As for the boots, they are a wear item. The bafles/ridges will rub together at full droop or when the wheel is stuffed. It's normal on a 4WD vehicle that is actually used off-road :)

Translation: "My Alberta money burns holes in my pocket"

1) Park it...

or

2) SAS...

or

3) or buy and build a Jeep for wheeling and keep the 4Runner as a DD.

Hahahhahahahhaha :)

And answers for 1, 2 & 3, the only time its parked is when I am out of province lol,

2 I wish I had the 15-20k for a proper sas for a 4th gen and 3 im not a fan of jeeps. I like the idea of having the only modified 4th gen that gets wheeled in the whole club or as far as I know province, most of them are owned by soccer moms who have no idea how capable of a 4x4 they have.

You have to remember that OEM parts are not manufacturered by Toyota, they are sourced by Toyota. Perfect example on my Xterra is the front hub assembly. $480 from Nissan or $120 from Rock auto (Tinken makes the part). The only difference is the Nissan logo on the OEM hub. Where do you think I placed my $$.

Going to NAPA for my calipers (re-man), rotors, pads, end links (lifetime), lower ball joints (lifetime) and Rock auto for my hubs saved me enough $$ to buy my Shrockworks rear bumper ($1k). I know it's a personal preference and every one has their own opinion, but at the end of the day, sometimes OEM is not the best.

As for the boots, they are a wear item. The bafles/ridges will rub together at full droop or when the wheel is stuffed. It's normal on a 4WD vehicle that is actually used off-road :)

Well next time I will purchase some re-man Nd aftermarket parts for the dealer to install, since I am not exactly mechanically inclined, I wish I were more mechanically inclined but this is not the case, maybe in the summer time I can get some experience.

Let anyone on the forum know when you need help; any of us will help you if we can get the time. If you're willing to travel, I can help you with anything you need done (within reason). Axle replacement is a really good & basic wrench turning experience.

Robert can barely leave his driveway without breaking something ;)

Click on the multiquote box on each of the posts you want to quote. Another box should open somewhere on your screen that says "Reply to ?? quoted post(s)". click on that to get all those posts quoted in the reply box.

See, That's what I did here, since Robert's post was on page 1 of the topic. :)

James I beg to differ, I have 4wd now and a new o2 sensor. Left the garage UN broken, but fixed...

Sam, I had a 97 Corolla, I needed a coolant temp sensor for it, O'regans wanted 129$ for it, I found the same sensor, same make ( Denso), model, part# new as I was gonna get one from Toyota for 29$. I just bought a Denso O2 sensor for less then one from the dealership.

Calipers, I could have done then in less then an hour for you, no labour cost. I seen the netural safety switch for auto for 1/2 or less then the stealership.

Boots I hate doing CV boots, I just buy aftermarket axles. 160 each for the runner, or 100$ for the VW.

I hate O regans...

:( I need to start learning how to do these kind of things my self

Haynes manual is okay helps you a bit. Like I told Shawn when we were fixing his JK, everything is obvious once you look at it.

Only down side calipers, you have to remove the brake line, so bleeding the brakes after is required ( and a PITA if the bleeder screws are rounded ) and I'm not sure if they fixed it in the 4th Gen, but the 3rd Gen I always had to replace the hard brake line, because I kinked them removing the caliper. There's no flex line to the caliper, it goes from hard to flex back to hard line.

I've yet to tackle a axle on mine.

Archived