• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

pssssssssst Do it for traction

Guest BlackPrintz

I would run my Cooper AT3s at about 17 lbs. (35 lbs for highway) but after reading this article, I'll be going down lower, probably in the 10-12 range (especially for snow) and depending on the trail. My Coopers are a Passenger tire, I think with an LT you could easily go down to 10 if you wanted to. If you've dropped the air pressure some and your tire is still looking full, drop it more. You want to enlarge your footprint significantly to improve your traction. :king:

How low would you guy's reccomend 31" dueler revo 2 all terrains? 25-30, I run them 36psi nitro.

Sam

Any advice we will give you will be useless. Every rig is different.

Do this:

1) Grab yourself a stick of that heavy chalk that kids use to write on sidewalks for hopscotch.

2) Go to a dry, paved parking lot.

3) Draw a heavy line across your tire.

4) Drive in a straight line for a few hundred feet.

5) Get out and see where the chalk is not.

6) Not in the centre?

7) Take a PSI reading. This number for tire pressure is too high.

8) Not on the edges?

9) Take a PSI reading. This number for tire pressure is too low.

10) Gone evenly and completely?

11) Take a PSI reading. This number for tire pressure is perfect.

Repeat 3 - 9 till 10 happens. Do 11 and then go on to 12.

12) Fill tires to this magic number and pass this post along to ANYONE who ever asks you what the perfect tire pressure is for a vehicle you have never seen and don't know the weight of.

Good luck to ya!

OFF ROAD:

Just try 20 and go down from there.

Any advice we will give you will be useless. Every rig is different.

Do this:

1) Grab yourself a stick of that heavy chalk that kids use to write on sidewalks for hopscotch.

2) Go to a dry, paved parking lot.

3) Draw a heavy line across your tire.

4) Drive in a straight line for a few hundred feet.

5) Get out and see where the chalk is not.

6) Not in the centre?

7) Take a PSI reading. This number for tire pressure is too high.

8) Not on the edges?

9) Take a PSI reading. This number for tire pressure is too low.

10) Gone evenly and completely?

11) Take a PSI reading. This number for tire pressure is perfect.

Repeat 3 - 9 till 10 happens. Do 11 and then go on to 12.

12) Fill tires to this magic number and pass this post along to ANYONE who ever asks you what the perfect tire pressure is for a vehicle you have never seen and don't know the weight of.

Good luck to ya!

OFF ROAD:

Just try 20 and go down from there.

I have used this, AND passed it along.

Whatever it says on the side of the specific tire does not mean you should use that as your normal pressure. Also what it says on the placard by your driver's door is only good for the stock tires that came on the vehicle. For instance, my Jeep says on the door placard 33psi. BUT it ALSO says P225/75/R15 for a tire size (I still have the orig. spare at home). I run 31"x10.5"/R15 Goodyear Wrangler Territories on the Jeep now. These tires say on the side of them something like 50 or 60 psi max pressure. On my light Jeep, I might as well fill them with foam, like on a Bobcat, if I was to run at that kind of pressure. Even the 33psi from the door plate was too much for my tires. Using the chalk method I have found My "majic number" to be 25-27 psi.

Not all tires are the same, either... even the same size of a different tire can change your majic number.

• 2 weeks later...

I run 6-9 psi in my swampers and the gains in traction are incredible...Have only poped a bead while winching to the side and i kind of expected it. Great in the snow when it's not broke...lol...

• 1 month later...

Archived