• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Unofficial trail runs?

Guest Olive

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll bet the Mud Option of the Renfrew Rally would be really really good right now............. Actually any of the Rally route, especially the stone steps where Robert lost this ball joint!

I'm not able to attend. Tomorrow I'll be wheelin' or snowhoeing where I'll be depending if the road is plowed or not! But I'll have

my AWD car or an F250 with bald tires....

Maybe next time I'll try to ride shotgun with someone.

Calculating on your odometer for the distance won't work, you'll be there all day trying to figure it out. If you use your phone for tracking, you have to know your distance travelled. The course directions are pretty damn accurate, and if not followed correctly can get you lost easily. Odometer reading will be ****** up easily enough though from spinning in the snow and on the ice. So watch your distances on the GPS carefully.

The woods section with the sharp 45* back turn, watch out there was a huge rock on the right, so don't cut too sharp.

The rock wall, stick right ( steps to place wheels ) don't go left ( I know ) you'll just hit a rock wall pretty much. The pretty good mud hole up there ( hence my name winch bait )

I don't think you'll see the rocks at all, just a flat blanket of snow covering everything making that "Old Renfew" section extremely challanging even for a modded rig at this time of year. With that clear cut on the edge of that trail, the snow has likely blown in covering any rocks that you would normally avoid.

This is why winter wheeling adds a point or 2 of diffucility to any trails...and it's much more fun! If I only had better tires :(

I don't think you'll see the rocks at all, just a flat blanket of snow covering everything making that "Old Renfew" section extremely challanging even for a modded rig at this time of year. With that clear cut on the edge of that trail, the snow has likely blown in covering any rocks that you would normally avoid.

This is why winter wheeling adds a point or 2 of diffucility to any trails...and it's much more fun! If I only had better tires :(

If you break through some of the ice in spots you could have some troubles too. It is suppesed to rain a bunch on Sunday too, so good luck out there and be carefull.

We will be careful, and honestly if things start getting too rough we will be turning around and heading back lol. I don't think anyone wants to damage their rig badly. With the rain we should be able to see the obstacles as it should get rid of the snow.

I have a handheld GPS which I have used to navigate several E2C races (the one's SAR4x4 was involved with). I will throw it in the truck.

See you Sunday.

If you want to drop over this evening, I can give you the map and directions from the Renfrew Rally that I have in my garage.

Archived