• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

4x4 shop and fab shop?

Guest My04T4R

Anyone know of any places in or around HRM? Prefferably somewhere that has a good background in driveline modifications. Also do you guys have a good vehicle electronics shop that you know of?

Thx

Sam

Air locker installations, set up a solid spacer instead of a crush sleeve, and the re gear to 4.56, I like to tinker around a bit but won't be attempting to install any of that stuff. And as far as electronics the wiring for the winch and all the lights and relays, probably go with a IBS dual batt kit. Electronics and wiring frustrate me. Haha.

Sam

I dont know offhand other than CVO and APJ but they are mainly Jeeps, except for CVO. There are a few others around and Pat should be able to help out as well. Most guys here as well do a lot of their own work including rear gearing. :)

Air locker installations, set up a solid spacer instead of a crush sleeve, and the re gear to 4.56, I like to tinker around a bit but won't be attempting to install any of that stuff. And as far as electronics the wiring for the winch and all the lights and relays, probably go with a IBS dual batt kit. Electronics and wiring frustrate me. Haha.

Sam

Why not go E lock? No air compressor needed.

4:10's are good enough, 4:56 if maybe you want 35's which are pretty hard to run on 4runners now.

I agree they are hard to fit on a 4th gen 4runner, e lock won't work as the toyota 8 inch rear on the 4th gen has no option other than ARB air locker same goes for up front, I am going to 33s before the lock and re gear, will see how the stock 3.73 ratio works and then make my decision. As for the comment on solid axle swap.. I freaking wish! For a 4 th gen toyota I only know of a handful out of all the forums that have done it as it is very expensive and time consuming, not to mention the parts alone for these 4th gens are very seldom and very pricey, here is a link to a great build of a 4th gen SAC 4runner, I hope one day the 4runner will go under the knife and turn out as capable as his rig. Check out the link finished product pics on pg 11,19&20 also a nice lil video on page 30! http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13688

Mines a 98 and has 4:10, 8" rear Axle ( V6 3rd member ) and was a factory E locker option. Might stopped it in 2000. But Ron has a FJ which should be the same rear end as your and his has a E locker in the rear.

After 1995 4runners dropped HARD. More accessories/mods for your 4th gen then my 3rd gen. Only way around it, is to get rid of the Toyota suspension/axles and go other. If you don't want to fork the cash.

But 4:10 is all you need. I'm not sure the difference between the 3rd members on 3 and 4th gen.

The only indication of an e locker on a 4th gen 4runner 3rd member was someone was trying to do it on toyota120.com but the thread went dead, im sire there is a lot of clearancing and cutting and hacking on the 3rd member to make an e locker fit, also I like the idea of an air powered locker, from what I read it is a very reliable and hassle free setup if it is installed properly. So you think 4.10s for 35s? As opposed to 4.56 or higher.

I dont think its much work to make an e-locker fit, only 2 places have to be trimmed out and 2 extra studs installed. As far as re-gearing, I'm running 35" Krawlers with factory 4.10's and factory e-locker with my stock 3.4L. Still pretty good power, but not much on the big highways. Lots of grunt in the woods!!!!

I dont think its much work to make an e-locker fit, only 2 places have to be trimmed out and 2 extra studs installed. As far as re-gearing, I'm running 35" Krawlers with factory 4.10's and factory e-locker with my stock 3.4L. Still pretty good power, but not much on the big highways. Lots of grunt in the woods!!!!

Skippy's 'Yota works very well in its current setup. Yours would be fine with 4.10s and the V8, but it is your rig to build as you please, and either gear ratio will cost alot to do, so you only want to do it the once.

4.10's are easy to find. But you would want a 3rd from a V6 or V8 cause they are a 4-pinion carrier, 4-spider gears instead of 2, alot stronger than the 4cyl. But even the newer 4cyl's, Tacoma style has a cradle style for the carrier bearing caps. I'm running an old style carrier in the front of mine, which takes some SERIOUS maulings. Off-road and at the local Truck Pulls

For the electrical part, I can help you out. I'm really good at it an have no issues getting things done right. For what ever reason, I seem to have a knack for it. I have 6 PIAA's mounted + a ton of additional electrical add on's & mods and the Xterra has not burnt to the ground..lol. |You might have to travel to see me, but the gas cost is far less than having a shop do it, + the learning factor for you.

For those that are so inclined, heres a link to a post on another forum I belong to. It is probably the most indepth post I've ever seen when it comes to electrical

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37578

Archived