• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Recovery Gone Wrong

Eastcoastcam

Wow, gone wrong indeed. Still doesn't make sense to me. Is the tug producing that much more force?

Tugging/jerking always applies more force.

Myra run, I had a fear of this.. I threw the jeep one end of the tow rope, I was hooking up mine using my shackle, I didnt noticed till in the truck that was just a hitch pin holding the rope.

Wow, I would not have thought it would break that easily either! But as James says, it is where the force is applied. Normally the strain on a hitch pin is right against both sides/ends on the inside of the receiver, creating a force trying to shear the pin on both sides. And they're really designed for relatively steady loads, not jerking loads.

If the strap happened to pull right in the centre of the pin, it creates a 'bending moment', which is a different force altogether.

Anyway you look at it, it is testament to using the right equipment for the job, and standing clear! I've often wondered about the difference when using a tow strap as a recovery strap, a tow strap isn't designed for shock loads either. And maybe there are different grades of hitch pins, Grade II, Grade III etc?

Its very true, since wheeling with this club I have learned a lot about recoveries, mainly cause ive been the one being recovered lol, but in all seriousness there is a lot I didnt know that I am glad to know now!

i hate tow straps... i love my long 7/8ths nylon samson braid, its like a bungee cord no sudden snaps like that. i have pulled so many rigs way bigger then by sami with some good momentem. just have to know how to tie a bowline...... always sucks when you let other noobs tie on there trucks, hard to get ur rope back lol

i hate tow straps... i love my long 7/8ths nylon samson braid, its like a bungee cord no sudden snaps like that. i have pulled so many rigs way bigger then by sami with some good momentem. just have to know how to tie a bowline...... always sucks when you let other noobs tie on there trucks, hard to get ur rope back lol
Is that synthetic winch rope? The elasticity is the difference between a recovery strap and a tow strap.

Is that synthetic winch rope? The elasticity is the difference between a recovery strap and a tow strap.

no its not like the stuff used on winches... i do keep a piece of that with me too but its like 3/4 or 7/8th bigger then the winch stuff thats like using wire its just as strong wire but it comes snug like wire..... hard on the gear lol

the 7/9ths nylon samson braid will strech like crazy i pulled a 3/4ton 4door long box chev out of soft spot at work once... rear end was sunk to bumpers front was not as bad.... i was in 3rd gear when she come snug out comes the heavy chev.

Archived