• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Broken leaf springs

Command

Hey, i recently bought a 2007 Nissan Xterra at the Adesa auction. It has two broken leafs on each rear leaf spring pack. After calling around spring shops in the area, appears that Provincial is the most expensive, EBM next, and the best price was from Parts for Trucks. Does anybody have any opinions on the work any of these places have done? Are they all equally good, some to avoid, some to go to??

Thanks!

Hey jedge welcome to the board. It's Devin, the guy who gave you the lower leaves for your X on Sunday...lol ;)

Each of the shops you mention are reputable. Parts for truck tends to be less expensive for arching, but not always. I know of a local company that is great for building custom packs so when the time comes, let me know. I still have my original leaf pack in my shed for that reason.

I concur, I've used both Provincial and P4T, and like them both. For me, it's a matter of where I live and where I work, making one more convenient than the other.

I just bought a new main leaf for mine at Provincial.

Hey Devin, thanks again for the leafs! lol i really appreciated it. I was considering either a local spring shop, or ordering stock low mileage used leaf packs from the US and getting someone to put them on... I've called around everywhere and couldn't find anything in NS, NB or PEI even. Having those 2 leafs to put in made my decision alot easier, and will save $150 shipping fee to UPS (plus the hassle of their brokerage fees).

I would like to bring it to Provincial, since they are just a block or two away from me, but they said $350 for both sides. EBM told me $300, and Parts For Trucks were just $250. They each said that it would be a little cheaper since I now have the replacement leafs to put in rather than them have to make or fit a new one in there but i never really did get a definite answer from anyone on how much cheaper it would be. So i think i'll just go with the lowest price all other things being equal and bring it to Parts for Trucks.

If you are getting the packs re-arched, the prices are fair. If you are only having the lowest spring replaced, it's way over priced. I installed add-a-leafs to my springs 3 years ago in just over an hour using hand tools, c-clamps, jacks & stands.

Yeah, those are for re-arching if necessary. I think they will have to re-arch them as the two left on each side now are kind of flattened, and also they need to match those up with the replacement don't they, so they fit and work together? I was thinking of doing it on my own, i have a friend who has some jacks etc but figured would be best to bring it to a spring shop so they can arch them too.

Yeah, those are for re-arching if necessary. I think they will have to re-arch them as the two left on each side now are kind of flattened, and also they need to match those up with the replacement don't they, so they fit and work together? I was thinking of doing it on my own, i have a friend who has some jacks etc but figured would be best to bring it to a spring shop so they can arch them too.

As you say they are re-building the pack, not just adding a leaf, it is well worth having a shop do them and matching them up side to side.

Archived