• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Why Not To Wheel Alone...

Guest Eastcoastcam

Honestly though, if it wasn't for nsjc who went on they're free time to retrive the jeep from the river bed.. Who knows how long it would of been left there.

But that's society, nothing is an accident. Someone always has to put blame.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

careful... we don't want to get dragged into this. they were VERY quick to point fingers at NSJC.

Not going to drag us into it. Just want to be able to comment. :unsure:

Don't be fooled, they probably lurk our forum as well. And obviously they have the NSJC general password, to have been following it last night. Which would explain why all the discussion on this has moved internal there, for good reason.

The NSJC did a good thing, to go out and extract the stuck Jeep of a complete stranger, risking their own vehicles and equipment, at no charge to the owner of said stuck Jeep. And we all know they would come out and get any of us out of a jam as well, if needed. And I am sure the favour would be reciprocated from our end as well. This is why our offroading community is strong here... people willing to go out of their way to help out others, even if they've never met.

Honestly though, if it wasn't for nsjc who went on they're free time to retrive the jeep from the river bed.. Who knows how long it would of been left there.

But that's society, nothing is an accident. Someone always has to put blame.

The ATVers wouldn't have got it out with their winches.

I have a buddy who is part of one of the local ATV groups, they don't all think we(any of us respectable groups at least) are at fault. He is not part of the group mentioned above though. His take on it was "Why would anyone be mad at the Jeep Club(or any 4X4 Club) This person was not affiliated with any of those groups." Just glad there was no affiliation there, that could have been ugly. I bet for the next little bit there will be some scrutiny on the trails and off roaders in general, this is not the kind of attention that we need. Oh and why no public praise for the Jeep Club members that came and helped get these ppl out....Kuodoo's to you NSJC members!!

I was on NSJC site when photos got posted.Wow is all I can say and they are real lucky to be here and yeah jeep looked bad on the side that when down.The pics were wiped in an hour or so after which was the right thing to do.The local ATV forumns are sh#ting on the jeep community and blaming all from what I read.I hope it gets forgoten quickly and we can still have fun wheeling TOGETHER and not ALONE!

Well said, Darren. From what I understand, NSJC reps have been in contact with the Marine Riders & NS Offroad Riders Asscoc. and the situation is I hope under control. I believe there will be some cooperation on rebuilding or repairing the bridge in question. I wouldn't mind getting in on the effort as well, seeing how I (we) use that trail from time to time.

Essentially I think that the ATVers are under the mistaken impression that the NSJC did something wrong, damaged the bridge, and therefore should fix it. In any case, it is being taken care of. I, for one, will be looking VERY closely at who I will help from now on.

I, for one, will be looking VERY closely at who I will help from now on.

It's unfortunate that this is the result of the mishap.

I would like to have a "UN" of off road clubs in NS where we can quickly / efficiently discuss things like this to make sure nobody is pointing fingers and that the focus can be on resolving issues instead.

It's unfortunate that this is the result of the mishap.

I would like to have a "UN" of off road clubs in NS where we can quickly / efficiently discuss things like this to make sure nobody is pointing fingers and that the focus can be on resolving issues instead.

That is actually a really great idea that should be looked into.. there is tons of clubs, but not all have connections. Good way of keeping the interest of off roading on a civil basis, and all work together to look at problems of trails.

There is starting to be some commonalities between the boards. I am on three, but the maritime offroad on on proboards is not very busy. The NSJC board is by far the busiest, and this one seems to be moving up there. We are all wheelers, who knows, I may even get out there with you guys soon. I have had a hummer in the woods, if that counts! :smiley-dance005:

I hear you there Len, on being more selective on rescue/recovery missions. Had you or Scotty known of the ensuing(sp?) s*** show BEFORE heading out on Sunday, would you guys have gone? Or leave the kid and his Dad to pay for recovery? (That would be a hefty bill!) I hope at least they were grateful that you guys extracted the Jeep.

There is a lot commonality between the forums. Pretty well all active, contributing members here are also on the NSJC forum as well. A bunch of the MOR guys are on here too (and NSJC). That forum has slowed down quite a bit, as it was very active up until the spring, since then it has been lively in spurts. We definately have a good wheeling community, with an extensive network across the entire province, if not the whole Maritimes. Somebody always knows somebody who will help you out of a jam, ANYWHERE we go in NS, NB, or PEI. I'll bet its not that extensive anywhere else in the country.

There should definately be more communication between our groups, and the ATV groups. If everyone just whines and complains about the others, and pointing fingers, it looks bad on offroading in general for EVERYONE. With communication issues can be settled in an adult way, rather than like my kids when they were 4.

:smiley-signs064:

that must have been scary for the occupants of that Jeep... first thing I thought when I saw the first pic was "Cookie Monster"! Luckily it wasn't Shane.

I wouldn't even think about going over a little log bridge that is older than Crist! lol. I had about 25 text messages once the picture was uploaded on line. I'm still safe and sound

Had you or Scotty known of the ensuing(sp?) s*** show BEFORE heading out on Sunday, would you guys have gone? Or leave the kid and his Dad to pay for recovery? (That would be a hefty bill!) I hope at least they were grateful that you guys extracted the Jeep.

Good question. I would like to think they appreciated it. Never saw a post on the board to that effect. Recovery back there would have been in the thousands, IF, they were able to even get someone to go in there.

I am not really worried about the s*** show because the NSJC did nothing wrong. It will blow over.

There are sides not discussed here. What about insurance? What if the insurance company would have covered repairs or write-off if it was extracted by a bona fide recovery service, but not now? And what if someone got seriously hurt during the recovery? I guess they'd be on their own dime!

Don't get me wrong, I'm really glad good Samaritans made the recovery for a variety of reasons, but there are other factors.

And I wonder the future of the Jeep. I suspect it is salvageable, but at what cost, and I wouldn't trust it. Anything that was under water, or in a awkward position, could have damage that only shows up days, and weeks, and months afterword. I wouldn't bet something like the power steering, power windows, brake master cylinder, etc don't all fail way before 8+ years down the road! And what if the insurance company says a sign stated 'ATV bridge only' and won't cover it? Lots of questions!

Good question. I would like to think they appreciated it. Never saw a post on the board to that effect. Recovery back there would have been in the thousands, IF, they were able to even get someone to go in there.

I am not really worried about the s*** show because the NSJC did nothing wrong. It will blow over.

I can't think of any recovery where the stuckee hasn't joined the forum and at least posted up a thank you message for getting their rig out of the woods. Every one I have seen, or been out to have. Oh well, live & learn.

There are sides not discussed here. What about insurance? What if the insurance company would have covered repairs or write-off if it was extracted by a bona fide recovery service, but not now? And what if someone got seriously hurt during the recovery? I guess they'd be on their own dime!

Would insurance cover this regardless because they were not on a public road anyway? I thought insurance stopped when you hit the trail.

Would insurance cover this regardless because they were not on a public road anyway? I thought insurance stopped when you hit the trail.

I talked to my broker and he says that you can drive where you want and you are covered as long as you are not committing an illegal act. Tresspassing, crime etc.

Archived