• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Insurance Companies

Guest autumnwalker

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have TD Meloche Monnex. About 5 years ago I had to get it appraised, because they did not know what to value it at. (I have fire and theft I think.) Be careful, there are two different types of appraisals, and I got the wrong one the first time! And you have to pay for the appraisals.........

I've been going thru a broker (Eisenhauer) which has us with Intact. haven't had any issues yet, but they just bought out AXA that we were with so we'll see. I pay about $325 a year for the Bronco PLPD for $1 mil coverage

im with allstate car inshurance out kearney lake and they never ask if i was modified so i never brought the topic up didnt want to know lol

• 7 months later...

Digging up an old thread but this is a path that I'm travelling now. Received a letter from my current provider that effective the end of the month, they are no longer insuring modified vehicles. They don;t like the lift and the winch...Let the calls/searching begin!!

Oh trust me James, I argued the fact but I was talking to a wall.

Their take on it is that is is not something used/required by the average individual, so it is considered a modification. I won't even start down the road of a conversation overview as the site my not have enough storage to host the rant!

I was with Wawanesa (Through Founders Insurance) up until I got my Landie. Awesome rates but they wouldn't touch the Rover and I wasn't about to insure most things with one company and just the rover with another. Switched everything to RBC. No problems thus far.

As far as the winch and such is concerned, I bet it's just a matter of the person/people making the policy not knowing anything about off road mods. Also, I wonder how much effect a winch would have in a claim involving hitting a pedestrian?

I called my old standby - ABC Insurance (Anderson Brown Company) and they will insure modified rigs. Turns out their rates are better than my TD rates as well... and I have special rates from TD because of my employer!

TD is not that great, we have a "group rate" discount with them through work, RBC and Allstate both beat the pants off of them (300-400$ difference)

Their take on it is that is is not something used/required by the average individual, so it is considered a modification.

So if that is the case, did you ask them if they considered "common sense" a modification? It seems average individuals don't use that all that often either. :P

RBC is my current insurance provider, they like so many other companies are really tightening the insurance strings! James, you're certainly on track. Bunch of underwriters who have never actually seen why these mods are made, and as to the fact that most exceed OEM quality. Bunch of paper pushers that don't care to review information. Can;t even send an email with a link to the modifications.

RBC is my current insurance provider, they like so many other companies are really tightening the insurance strings! James, you're certainly on track. Bunch of underwriters who have never actually seen why these mods are made, and as to the fact that most exceed OEM quality. Bunch of paper pushers that don't care to review information. Can;t even send an email with a link to the modifications.

They wouldn't understand what they were reading, even if you could send them a link or the info itself :wacko:

Archived