• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

They make them for the X as well and NO :twak: . I just replaced the driver's LCA for $72 USD ($100 all in to my door). Start doing the math and...NO.

Aftermarket UCA's allow more down travel, aftermarket LCA's are built for strength and intended for desert racing & high speed running. They are Purdy though.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my truck back earlier this week! 2 months afterwards and not without some issues. I got it back not exactly as I gave it to them, my gas cap tether is broken, my horn no longer works, my tires where almost flat and my battery no longer holds a charge. Sadly that's just naming a few issues...... Anyways my main concern is the battery. I haven't done any trouble shooting yet but here's what's going on. I would drive for awhile on the highway, stop at the post office (turn truck off) grab my mail them come out. When I go to start the truck it barely starts and I mean barely. I would leave the battery on a trickle charger all night but it makes no difference.

Take the battery to a local parts place. They will test it to see what is going on. My battery was doing the same thing when it was colder than -5*C. Sometimes it would start, other times it would not. In both cases, it turned over really, really slow. Voltage was reading low, but still acceptable. The amps under draw were well below the acceptable scale on the tester. Most shops offer this testing for free, takes about 2 hours as the machine cycles through test, charge, test, charge...

Agree with devin, parts store would be able to tell you whats up.

John I dont want LT.

I been calling around everywhere trying to find superlube in both a mp grease for a grease gun for the poly bushings, got it ordered finally, also was looking for their dry teflon lube for the uniballs, i called everywhere i could think of and finally stumbled upon it at home hardware, pretty sure i got the last two cans in hrm lol.

DSC_0323.jpg

picture share

Who'd ya blow to get those, considering the local supply :P ?

No one James..lol, I went online ;) www.discounttiredirect.com

I paid a little more than the sale price from CT but less than the list price including the additional discount from fubaring my first shipment. Even without the "first shipment we pooched discount", I paid a little less than the CT list per tire.

I also spoke to Goodyear Canada who issued me a cheque (received yesterday) equal to the $60 CDN rebate as US merchant purchases do not qualify for the Canadian rebate and Canadians don't qualify for the US rebate.

In the end, before taxes & Enviro fee, including the GY rebate and discount from the supplier I paid $295.47 CDN/tire (CT list of $354.99, sale price of $266.25). Yes a little more, but I received the tire I wanted. Also, I was able to purchase their warranty for a 5 year period; Take a pic of the damaged tire, they send you a new one.

I also received an additional coupon code for $50 USD (less than $500) and $100 ($500+) on my next tire order. The Corolla is going to need new summer sneakers in the Spring ;)

btw, the CT site is now showing this size as being available after the sale is over...hmmmm. IF CT was in stock 2 weeks ago, I would have pay $1246; I paid $1380 (before warranty).

It all worked out in the end as I received the tires I need for my driving. Appointment is boked for mounting the new tires tomorrow morning. Anyone need a BFG MT sized 285/70/17 as a full sized spare? I'll have 4 soon!

Have I got a muck hole for you... To show you where they do not perform really well :P !

And I know a hole that you can't make it through...along with an icy trail in the winter that your TSL's will not like ;) They are a good all around compromise, they are good in the mud (not great) and good in snow & ice (not great). Best all around tire available IMO.

Devin what are you doing for a spare? And are you still getting the duratracs studded?

James is it the hole from mud run?

Not studded. I was only going to stud them if I bought another size. For a spare, I have a fairly worn A/T mounted to rear bumper carrier already.

The final decision was based on the cost. I was looking at paying about $1400 for 16" rims and either 235/85/16 or 265/75/16 Duratracs anyway. I like my bedlined 4 spoke 17's so once I saw that Discount had them in stock, I placed the order.

I have no regrets, and yes if not for the for the discount I would have paid more, but after driving it 100 feet from the shop, I realized how horrible of condition the M/T's are in. They would be great for a dedicated wheeler, or a trail set but on a DD, even with beads they are loud & shake the truck. I finally realized that the radio can go below #10...lol.

They did have to use the beads in the DT's to get them to balance (transferred from my M/T's). Noting this as it's a common issue at times in this size and also noting this to confirm that there was no wear to the inside of the M/T's after running them for almost 2 years; a bit of powder from the pellets wearing, but no damage to the inner tire lining.

post-429-0-27945700-1419445412_thumb.jpg

post-429-0-99195300-1419445450_thumb.jpg

And I know a hole that you can't make it through...along with an icy trail in the winter that

They did have to use the beads in the DT's to get them to balance (transferred from my M/T's). Noting this as it's a common issue at times in this size and also noting this to confirm that there was no wear to the inside of the M/T's after running them for almost 2 years; a bit of powder from the pellets wearing, but no damage to

How do the beads work for you? I have them in my tires and they are good until about 90km/h or so. Then the truck starts to vibrate quite a bit. Once in a while they work and it doesnt shake but of the time it does.

Strongly considering some new tires for the H2 to quell the highway manners of the XMLs. They are AMAZING offroad, but not much of a highway tire.

It certainly wouldn't be a bad idea. Then you are not burning up your tread on the pavement. As much as a PITA it is swapping tires for trail rides, it ensures tire rotations get done, and is way more road friendly in between runs.

I installed a new switch for my light bar, so it's now hooked up to a SPDT switch. I have it set so it can come on with the high beams, or I can turn it on manually.

I also removed the broken exhaust manifold bolt, and replaced it with one I have in the garage. It still leaks. but not near as much. I'm guessing that either the gasket is now shot, or the manifold is warped.

Stock is 315/70-17; roughly 35". The XMLs I have on now are 325/85-16; roughly 38".

HMMWVs run Goodyears in 37" which are a nice A/T tread.

Stumbled upon this while reviewing tires, heres your new tires scott! Lol...

Screenshot_2014_12_26_22_55_02.png

Archived