• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did a small bit on the Scout today.

1) Installed the Antique plates!

2) Installed a brand new battery! The old battery was a red top Optima, but it was also labelled 06/09! 5.5 years old....

2a - took her for two 20 minute drives, that should top the battery up.

3) Fueled up, with high test. I run Regular in the car, everything else and especially small engines get Premium.

A) Looked at the main wiring around the battery and starter.

A1) The only negative cable goes from the battery to the engine. It may be about 6" longer than it needs to be, but it is #2 gauge and lots heavy!

I will clean the connection at the engine, but I will also add battery to body and battery to frame cables or frame to body.

A2) The positive cable goes from the battery directly to the starter, after all! However it is #4 and about 4' long! I'll change that to #2 and clean the connection at the starter.

At the garage:

Fueled the furnace at the garage, for the next night in the garage. Have to transfer it from the 45 gallon drums to the oil tank once a year.

Ill be honest I was really hoping to go with my original choice which was a good quality camburg ball joint style uca, seeing as its sealed and greasable and if a ball joint fails I could go to napa and pick up a new one but...

After waiting 3 weeks now and calling once a week i said **** it!

Going to try my luck with the uniball style...

Devin are yours uniball uca and if so can you tell me your experience with a uniball style vs ball joint??

Sam

Yes, uniball at the spindle and heim rod ends to the frame mounts (pic below). I replaced the uniball (spherical bearings) when I bought the UCA's as they were shot; that was in March 2011 and the spherical bearings are still good. I do lube them every couple months. The rod ends I replaced in October and they were roughly 5-6 years old.

Spherical bearing is $25 USD

Rod ends $20

Best part is that I can rebuild them without any special tools in about 20 minutes (after they are off the truck of course). The UCA's allow for an additional 1-1.5" of down travel compared to OEM.

productimage-picture-prg_xterra_upper_co

Wow heims on the ends? That seems like it woukd be very very prone to mud and rust, i was taking a leap of faith with the uniball at the spindle end, correct me if i am wrong but these are parts more suited for desert stlye driving and environment? I mean thats why i was going for the ball joint style so it would be sealed up, oh well its oredered now :p

All of the parts are stainless steel. The tolerances are tight so as long as you lube them every couple months they will last a long time. The lining between the ball and the race will wear over time. There are a lot of people in Canada running PRG UCA's on their Xterras, Frontiers & Titans. 5+ years is pretty good for a sealed ball joint on an offroad rig, especially with larger tires, more weight & abuse.

I finally sorted out my issues with superchips.

Previous owner had already tuned the truck so my tuner wouldn't work. After 8 months of superchips trying to find a work around they finally said just bring to the dealer get it back to stock and we'll reimburse you.

That's what i did and my tuner works now :) I'm really glad to have some control over that. Now i can put it in highmilage for when i drive back to Ontario but still have a bit of extra umpf on the trails.

Archived