• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the tip. I already did that, but wasn't able to get it super neat as there's some little kinks in the cable...to be expected given how this winch has been around a few times ;)

start parking some holiday funds for your X and add some synthetic line ;)

If you decide to go syn winch line just keep in mind it is very prone to being cut or worn due to abrasion, just keep that in mind.

Personally i would throw some new wire rope on it but thats just my .02$ looks good though!

Have you put it to the test yet?

I like the idea of synthetic, but TBH the winch probably wont get the use to justify the expense....this hobby is as expensive a crack when you've got a family, so it really boils down to wants vs needs ;)

I have tested the winch, and she pulled my out of a 'fake' hole no problem :)

I'm looking forward to using it in a real situation too ;)

My thoughts: All things considered, stick to your current cable, and when necessary buy new wire rope.

1) Synthetic is more expensive.

2) Some folks claim you may need to replace synthetic as often as yearly, depending on how it gets (ab)used.

3) Hanging a synthetic rope off the lower front of your truck in salt, mud, and then summer UV rays is VERY HARD on synthetic cable.

Even without using it!

My nickel's worth!

My thoughts: All things considered, stick to your current cable, and when necessary buy new wire rope.

1) Synthetic is more expensive.

2) Some folks claim you may need to replace synthetic as often as yearly, depending on how it gets (ab)used.

3) Hanging a synthetic rope off the lower front of your truck in salt, mud, and then summer UV rays is VERY HARD on synthetic cable.

Even without using it!

My nickel's worth!

Totally agree, especially with the location of the winch on your rig Jay, I would also suggest sticking with the wire cable.

Guess I'm being the safety advocate as I've seen synth winch line break (James you were there) and it dropped to the ground when it broke. I was the "anchor" behind the vehicle with the winch btw.

If you clean & re-wind the line twice a year (as recommended, metal or synth) salt & mud have little impact on the line. UV rays used to be a consideration factor, however the new lines are treated to reduce this.

Also, for the operator, there is no chance to get a metal strand splinter/cut.

Made a bracket out of angle iron for the LED lights and got them wired up.
When I bought the bracket it 'felt' strong enough to hold the weight of the lights, but it really isn't as the middle lights bounce around a little. So I'm gonna have to have a re-think.
I might have to run the pipeline tonight to test them out ;)
2014-11-28%2B01-29-07-290.jpg

I finally put that bushing on my shifter cable that I lost on the M.U.D. Run :P ! No longer held together with a cable tie, I can put it down to first without snapping the tie!

:ninja: I also started cleaning something else up too for the Jeep that has been around the garage for a little while now :ninja:

Archived