• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My eBay knock off takes air from underneath has angled inlets to promote air swirl while pulling air from directly below.

"Reduces amount of dust coming to air filter. Dust separates by centrifugal forces and withdrawn automatically - no need to clean"

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/32490-The-quot-bird-feeder-quot-snorkel-head-what-s-it-s-purpose/page2

My eBay knock off takes air from underneath has angled inlets to promote air swirl while pulling air from directly below.

"Reduces amount of dust coming to air filter. Dust separates by centrifugal forces and withdrawn automatically - no need to clean"

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/32490-The-quot-bird-feeder-quot-snorkel-head-what-s-it-s-purpose/page2

Cool - sounds like the same idea.

Started to mock up a DIY snorkel from 2 inch ABS

IMG_20140813_195723.jpg

I've been thinking about this as well. I don't like to add on to the outside of the fenders given the tight trails. I've come really close in a couple of holes to sucking in water, as in less than 2". Not sure if the pipe will fit behind the fender, but I'll be checking when I install my side marker/blinker LED's on the side of the fender in a couple weeks.

Bought a used manual shift T-case tonight for the Dodge diesel I bought that has a grenaded electric-shift T-case. Manual shift are a 'dime a dozen', used electric-shift don't exist. We'll see if this hair-brained scheme works! At the very least I want to be able to start and drive the truck, even if waiting for an e-shift.

Too many projects, so little time!

yeah 2.5 would be perfect, but I couldn't find any in any of the usual diy stores, so 2 inches it will have to be for now.

I did some chopping of the fender and we're almost done.

I'm not sure how I'm gonna cap it off at the top. My mushroom is way too big for 2 inch.

2014-08-16%2B12.51.23.jpg

2014-08-16%2B13.32.29.jpg

I've got a few jobs left to do to finish this

• cap off a resonator pipe hole in the airbox
  • relocate the air temp sender as it was in the resonator pipe
  • figure out an A pillar mounting bracket - I'm thinking a square of stainless
  • glue and paint the pipes
  • clean up the fender cut and paint the bare metal
  • chop the wiper water tray cover
  • figure out the top

Today was a tale of ups and downs....

The ups; I got all the pipework just perfect ready to cement it in place

The downs; I disassembled the pipes and bends ready to cement it thinking I'd have plenty of time to adjust...NOPE, damn that stuff dried quickly and I made a complete hash of it!! I now need new 45 and 22.5 degree bends :(

The ups; I made up a little bracket to hold the pipe in the A pillar

2014-08-17%2B20.11.27.jpg

2014-08-17%2B20.12.56.jpg

Archived