• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

Take the boots off of them. They don't let the crap out of them and the shaft will get pitted and rust on you. This was told to me when I got my old Ranchos for my old '91 4Runner out west. The guy showed me some shocks that had boots on them and the set on his truck without. I haven't used the boots since and never had a problem.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Sunday I replaced a front wheel bearing on my !@#$% Nissan Rogue. Now with a dash load of lights because of the seized/broken !@#$% wheel speed sensor.

Story continued: I broke the sensor trying to remove it before removing the wheel bearing. I did like everyone on-line and the factory service manual said. After breaking it and removing the wheel bearing, I could see how with a small adjustment I could have removed the bearing without removing the seized sensor.

And the sensors are a very dear price for these. Several hundred $ on-line and at Cdn Tire / PartSource.

I just called the dealer Parts, whom is an old wheeler from the Extreme club days, and he said "I could have told you how to....". I said too late, I figured it out the hard way! However his price for the sensor is less than Cdn Tire, and he is selling ii to me wholesale, further reducing the sting.

In the long run it cost me slightly more than taking it to the dealer or some repair shop that knows this trick, but I chalk it up to fun and experience. Humph! However I put in SKF bearings, and in this application they are reputed to last the life of the car. We'll see.

Eugene check www.rockauto.com - I have had good luck with their parts / prices even after shipping, duty, and currency conversion.

Thanks, I did consult Rockauto for both the wheel bearing and the wheel speed sensor. They have really inexpensive wheel bearings, and the expensive SKF, and the SKF worked out to about the same price as buying it local. Many threads stated don't buy anything else for my wheel bearings, unless you are selling it soon after! And Speedy 'muffler' uses SKF for my Nissan (through NAPA), and I've always had good service from Speedy. As for the wheel speed sensor, e-Bay 'unknown source' parts were still 75% of the cost of me buying OEM wholesale. As James said, and I've noticed before on some Chev stuff, somtimes the dealer is the best quality and price! The old MacPhee CHEV, sold parts at wholesale price to everyone across the counter.

Started fixing some hail damage to the truck, golf ball sized hail and 100km/h winds is not fun. Makes for a cool video though lol

Driver side of my windshield

post-698-0-93681100-1407721381_thumb.jpg

Passenger side of my windshield

post-698-0-52874900-1407721432_thumb.jpg

Driver side of the windshield

post-698-0-12500100-1407721496_thumb.jpg

post-698-0-33650700-1407721528_thumb.jpg

The hole in my mirror (don't have a before pic, just after I filled it with bondo)

post-698-0-09755900-1407721466_thumb.jpg

The mirror after I Painted it

post-698-0-07259000-1407721570_thumb.jpg

My Hood

post-698-0-77994800-1407721613_thumb.jpg

A friend of mine's car roof is like your hood, and I forget the details but something like the insurance company paid the equivalent of having it repaired but she pocketed the money. (No fraud, you sign a waiver against future claims on the roof. I've done similar before.) However it is an Austin Mini with a sort of vinyl roof, and you can't even tell! It will only matter a bit when you go to sell it. For her car, with extensive mileage and two dogs, it won't affect the price...............

That's just it, I mean you only saw my hood. The rest of the truck is the same and it punched right through one of my mirrors and dented my steel tool boxes. The windshield is getting replaced now but the rest is not worth putting through insurance, since every body repair shop is booked solid for the next month or so haha I'll fix what I can and the rest shall serve as a reminder that when I see purple and pink on a radar to run away! Lol

Thanks, I did consult Rockauto for both the wheel bearing and the wheel speed sensor. They have really inexpensive wheel bearings, and the expensive SKF, and the SKF worked out to about the same price as buying it local. Many threads stated don't buy anything else for my wheel bearings, unless you are selling it soon after! And Speedy 'muffler' uses SKF for my Nissan (through NAPA), and I've always had good service from Speedy. As for the wheel speed sensor, e-Bay 'unknown source' parts were still 75% of the cost of me buying OEM wholesale. As James said, and I've noticed before on some Chev stuff, somtimes the dealer is the best quality and price! The old MacPhee CHEV, sold parts at wholesale price to everyone across the counter.

Timken is another popular choice for Nissan. They are the OEM supplier for most Nissan Trucks. Not sure if they make them for the Rogue though :thinking:

Started fixing some hail damage to the truck, golf ball sized hail and 100km/h winds is not fun. Makes for a cool video though lol

I had a client on my previous desk that does paint less dent repairs. He has the tools to repair most hail damage back to spec as long as the paint has not cracked. PM me if you want his info. He lives in NS, but most of his work is done in your area for obvious reasons.

I had a client on my previous desk that does paint less dent repairs. He has the tools to repair most hail damage back to spec as long as the paint has not cracked. PM me if you want his info. He lives in NS, but most of his work is done in your area for obvious reasons.

Thanks Devin, yeah wouldn't hurt to get his info. Some I don't think can be fixed nor do I plan on doing anything right away but when the time comes it wouldn't hurt.

Thanks Devin, yeah wouldn't hurt to get his info. Some I don't think can be fixed nor do I plan on doing anything right away but when the time comes it wouldn't hurt.

He pulled a really deep dent in my hood while following a salt truck. The paint did not crack and it was roughly 1/2" deep and very deep in a small area. I'll take a pic of the most recent winter rock salt event to show you what I have on my hood now. The previous one he pulled was worse and I cannot see any imperfections from the previous repair. I picked this one up after driving in a snowfall in Jan or Feb this year. I'm waiting for him to come back to NS so he can pull this one too.

post-429-0-43815400-1407795345_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't mind his details either... I got in a fight with a stump last summer...

i just finished replacing the alternator, runs like a champ and battery light is gone. i also loosened the parking brake cable as it was dragging a bit because of the new shoes. i ll book my appointment tomorrow to get the tires mounted thursday morning.

nice! i have something similar in mind. i hate those Safari snorkels that run the entire length of the fender.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/157095-river-raider-fj-expedition-snorkel.html

something like that but that extends all the way to the roof with the inlet we are used to see with mesh in it instead of that round thing

Installed a new wheel speed sensor (that should not have got broken, @#$ Rogue) and now I can't spin or lock my tires anymore, but I again have ABS, AWD, and some brand of Stability Control. Eliminated four(!) lights off the dash. I'm good with that!

Archived