• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished all of the front end maintenance, and found another issue...lol.

Completed: Font driver's side drive shaft, driver's wheel hub, new sway bar bushings, installed new spherical bearings on both coilovers (upper & lower). Back to being tight again on the road, but have 1/2 the hum I had before. Passenger's side unit bearing is pooched as well (order placed today through Rock Auto).

Encountered a few issues (as always) along the way:

- Sheared a caliper bracket bolt (19mm head, 14mm body) clean. Quick trip to the salvage yard had a replacement in hand for $30 (including the caliper that I didn't need).

- Both lower coilover bolts required a 5lb BFH to break free. The spacers were corroded to the bolt and needed extra force to remove. New lower mount bolts had to be purchased.

- Thanks to our winters, I can't decrease the pre-load on the front coilover springs; so I cannot use the 1/4" spacers I bought (used) 18 months ago. 3.5' cheater car did nothing to break the locking ring nor the tension ring free (FML).

Although I could have installed the skids today, I decided against it. A wire brush, primer & fresh bedliner is in place in prep for the unit bearing install 2 weeks from now.

Oh yeah, I also bought a pressure washer. Cleaning the **** out from the underside and then getting Krown rust undercoating before installing the skids.

I brought my ARB Locker to life, ran the new lines hooked it all up to the compressor and It locks, :) lol...put the callipers etc back on the front axle, just waiting on the Lower Control arms to come in, bolt them up get my alignment done and then hopefully get off road to test everything out. :)

As some of you might have known by previous posts n pix my trunk was always a mess of tools and rigging and all kinds of stuff, with a central well overloaded and abused milk crate.

Well yesterday it took one too many big hits and broke, spilling stuff everywhere and almost hitting one of my subwoofers, well.. today I found a replacement.

a big ol wooden crate (3/4" plywood) that was sent to me from an old company last year, mocked it up and it works perfectly.

DSC_0173.jpg
photo sharing websites

Took a quick rip to home depot and VOILA!!!

DSC_0174.jpg
image post

YAY! :)

now I need someones input on where and how to mount the hi lift...

The X is on a jack stand (front passenger's side) until tomorrow. Started replacing the wheel bearing assembly and broke both bolts that attach the caliper bracket to the spindle. I'll hit the junkyard tomorrow to buy a used one as I only need the bracket (caliper is fine) and then another stop to the bolt store to replace the broken ones. Man, this "weekend" of work has dragged out to 4; par for the course sometimes.

Got the front passenger door back on with new pins and bushings, much better than it was but may get new hinges sometime, the non-bushing sides of the pins are worn. Got both it and the drivers door adjusted again, for the nth time. Re-building the sagging body mounts and bushings last year and the busted front fenders and rough wheelin' had everything every which way! Adjusted both rear passenger doors a few days ago. What a difference! they close almost like a new car!

Also worked on re-installing and adjusting the front fenders, driver's side almost done. And worked on a couple small rust spots.

Tick tock tick tock towards Thursday night!

The X is back & running on it's wheels, though I won't make a run until next week when the skids are re-installed. I still have a drone in the front end, but it's 10% of what prompted the front end re-build; hopefully not the front diff. I noticed that I have a significant bend on the front most mount of the passenger's side LCA, so it could/should be the M/T's making the noise. Alignment is booked for tomorrow.

Appointment booked on the 29th for Krown undercoating & then to install the skids. Thinking I'll leave the skids as they are as any coating is going to get removed by obstacles anyway, though, POR15 has caught my eye. Just not sure how durable it is to warrant the cost.

i cut my front body mounts to make room for some big tires and welded plates on them, then primed and painted them.

will start tearing the front end tonight to fix my power steering control valve seal that leaks and install the lift.

i also replaced a front caliper on the passenger side + rotor and pads

Archived