• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

Well as most of you know the jeep is parted and just a shell left in the yard lol well this is the replacement 99 ram 1500 short wheel base with the 318 I re painted the pealing wheels with dupli color wheel paint in graphite color left the center caps silver and I picked up a rear tool box this morning have a little bit of work I have planed as of now just matenence stuff wheel bearings ball joints and a couple small repairs under the box and cab corners and bottom of the passenger side fender other than that's it's in grest shape and under coated regularly

How many cans did it take you to do the wheels? I'm thinking of doing my aluminum wheels in the graphite also.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally found a thread (actually, a lot of threads) on JeepForum.com with a perfect way to mount a winch on my WK. I have bookmarked so many threads on this site now and have a ton of ideas and 'want to dos'.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/omelets-hidden-winch-build-1225413/

So I called Jason today, at Peck's to order me a winch. They have a Warn VR-10000 in stock but I want it with the synthetic rope, so it'll be early next week before it's ready. Then I have to see when Alan J. can do the fab work for me.

post-690-0-97324200-1394587269_thumb.jpg

I saw Costco are peddling a Snap-On 10,000 for $399....any good ?

I've read a bit about that winch. Likely it is a re-badged winch of unknown origin. SAR asked me if they should get one for the vehcile we are up-fitting, as compared to Warn.

I told them the the discussions I've found on-line.

1) Costco has a great return policy if it doens't work.

2) And if it doesn't work and you are in sticky situation, Item 1 doesn't help you any. If it deosn't work and you have other options, okay.

Funny thing. If you buy somthing you want (Warn, Toyota) and it works fine, great. If it fails you say, well, anything can fail.

But if you buy a substitute product, and it doesn't work, you say you should've known better! You got what you paid for!

The unanamous decision at SAR is to make keep your risk low, by keeping your training and equipment top-notch. Warn it is.

Thanks....I also read the winch was a re-badge....does that mean anything these days? IDK.

I was hoping somebody had some hands-on experience as at that price I'm tempted as a combined b'day/Christmas present to myself .....or at least that's how I was pitching it to Tracey LOL

Derek; thanks....my avatar was made with Gimp - It wasn't intended for anything, I was on a conf. call and bored LOL

logo5.png

Here's the Snap-on thread: http://nsjc.proboards.com/thread/46315/snap-on-10-000lb-winch#page=1

It might be a decent winch? After all the test comparisons I've read about winches, I'll stick with the Warn due to the overall level of reliability. Besides, the price of the VR series at Peck's is a pretty hard one to pass up. Their everyday price is usually better than the PA sale prices. FYI

Thanks....I also read the winch was a re-badge....does that mean anything these days? IDK.

I was hoping somebody had some hands-on experience as at that price I'm tempted as a combined b'day/Christmas present to myself .....or at least that's how I was pitching it to Tracey LOL

Derek; thanks....my avatar was made with Gimp - It wasn't intended for anything, I was on a conf. call and bored LOL

Well for being bored, it looks pretty damn good! :D I'd stick that on my Jeep!!

i really dont believe the snap-on stuff at costco is not not the real deal. they were selling 20 and 30 gallons compresor for the same price they sell the mastercraft compressors at canadian tire...

even on sale the price of a snap -on wrench doesnt come close to a mastercraft wrench so imagine a compressor.

My first attempt of mounting the Baofeng UV-5R at the bottom of the drivers B-pillar wasn't working for me, so I decided to change it up a little with some heavy duty Velcro.
This time I moved the external antenna to the front of the roof, and fitted the battery eliminator.
If this configuration works I'll remove the cigar plug and hard-wire the battery eliminator.
2014-03-16+12-38-05-013.jpg
2014-03-16+12-37-41-696.jpg2014-03-16+12-49-46-375.jpg

What's the other radio in the pic? And did your supplier ever get back to you about a bulk buy? Even if he didn't I might get one, given it's versatility.

How fast do they deliver sometimes?

Looks to me like the Bofang, the speaker-mike, and CB mike, with the CB box down in the cubby...

I must be on a theme lately, lighting. I put new LED reverse lights in a few days ago and then I picked up new Hella Optilux bulbs to replace my stock headlights. I think they are comparable to 80W and 100W instead of the 55W and 65W that were in it. Nice and white, not blue. And today, I starting replacing my interior lights with LEDs that I got on eBay. I bought the 10 pack for my WK, I think they were around $15 or $20US. The first pic is the map lights overhead, left bulb is standard and a new LED in the right side. Then the interior shot from outside, looking in through the window, earlier tonight.

post-690-0-69545100-1395015666_thumb.jpg

post-690-0-95367600-1395015767_thumb.jpg

What's the other radio in the pic? And did your supplier ever get back to you about a bulk buy? Even if he didn't I might get one, given it's versatility.

How fast do they deliver sometimes?

No they didn't get back to me after chasing them. I'll give them one last chance, but I suspect at the price there's not much wiggle room for them.

Delivery for both radios was quick tho.

I have the Baofeng + speaker mic, and a Uniden 505XL CB (there's some irony with the XL...this thing is tiny)

Archived