• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

all that weight gotta be hard on parts eventually ...then toss in the mix them biggggg tires . more stress on fr end parts

I was thinking the same thing Dave. IFS, big tires.... But if he gets two or three years out of those parts, with warranty, not too bad for those tires and truck weight.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rotated the tires on the Jeep and cleaned and adjusted the brakes on the Samurai . Set the tire pressure at 4psi , heading to the woods tomorrow with my son and his girl in their TJ .

Installed LED Fog lights (please see build thread), impatiently waiting for my LED headlights. Also discovered that my driver side secondary catalytic converter may be FUBAR. When I tap it I can hear things rattling around, can hear the rattle while accelerating as well. Checked it out visually and she's rotted quite bad.

Installed the new struts. Should have done this along time ago! Had to "pump" up the old ones in order to get them to stay at full extension. With the new ones, I just open the hatch & stand back. Nice controlled extension!

Before:

post-429-0-99227800-1390681487_thumb.jpg

After:

post-429-0-53764300-1390681508_thumb.jpg

Nice! I could really use new struts for mine. The hood one is really bad when it's cold out, hood usually has to be held up with my head. :D The hatch will hold, but it is a bit saggy. Sadly, they're not in the budget right now though. :(

I will go on record to say that siping the XML tires makes a world of difference. I drove around all day today Sackvlle - Halifax - Dartmouth and back... no issues whatsoever, didn't even feel for a minute that I was not in control. Easily passed between snow covered lanes on the highway and even was able to get the ABS going on a snow covered road and the truck came to a controlled stop, not a slide / holy **** moment.

Post some pics of the "after" Scott...interested to see what you did!

I saw them, and it is hard to see, but if the sipe pinches your finger you'll know!

I rented a car today and drove from Amherst to Dartmouth on the highway and it sucked, once I got into Dartmouth I almost couldn't even get up any hills.

I need my truck back in the road.

I have winter tires on my car, and I will only rent a vehicle with winter tires. Some rental companies do carry them, especially because many folks will only rent that way. There are issues of liablity, if my company wants me to rent a car, then I want what driving experts recommend. If my company won't let me find a car with them and I get in an accident, they have in fact instructed me to do something unsafe.

(I've been in the government and similar agencies too long! lol)

Last year we spent a good amount of time wheelin' in some down right wet & rainy conditions.

Whilst I enjoyed every last minute, it also meant for a miserably wet arm, a pool of water in the window armrest and damp all over the window switches as I keep the window open a touch to stop the inside fogging up.

I don't normally like these window vents, but if it keeps my arm and switches dry then I guess I can live with them.

My only concern is they might be a trap for upwardly bound mud and water from my offset wheels.....we'll see ;-)

2014-02-07+12-36-30-143.jpg
2014-02-07+01-06-14-924.jpg

This was the first "mod" when I bought the Xterra. IMO, it's one addition that should be on every vehicle. On wet days, it's nice to be able to crack a window & prevent condensation without getting the interior wet. Also nice to crack the window on hot days and not have to worry about the showers in the afternoon getting the interior wet.

Jay are your the in-channel or the exterior mount? Hard to tell from the pics, but they appear to be the in-channel style.

ETA: lol, whoops. Saw the pics on my work lap top (small screen), but just went back on the home CPU and could clearly see "IN-CHANNEL" on the pic of them packaged!

no need to crack that window on hot days when you have that toyota A/C :)

honestly i was looking at those, but the ones i looked at for the fj dont stick out of the window so you have less chance of breaking them while offroading

Archived