• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

Keep us in the loop Command! I expect a complete detailed write up....lol. I may have to go this route as well based on your review cause the OEM X lights are pathetic. What's the cost for the bulbs? Any other parts that have to be installed to run them or are they plug & play?

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe, but this excerpt made me laugh:

"LED bulb has a small fan on the back side to cool it off. It is possible to use the LED bulb without the fan in winter time so long as the temperature of the LED does not reach 90+℃. If the fan stops working, the driver will automatically enter heat protection state and reduce current, the light will be half of full brightness. When the bulb gets too hot for normal operating temperature, the LED light will turn off automatically, so there is no need to worry about a fire hazard."

I picture driving down the road with lights flashing as if you were and emergency vehicle.

Keep us in the loop Command! I expect a complete detailed write up....lol. I may have to go this route as well based on your review cause the OEM X lights are pathetic. What's the cost for the bulbs? Any other parts that have to be installed to run them or are they plug & play?

Yea my headlights suck, not impressed at all. He makes LED`s for all applications so i`m getting both headlights and fog lights :). Don`t worry, I will give ya a good write up lol. The cost is $115 +shipping ($20ish) per pair. Which isn`t bad when you consider:

A. The average life span of Halogen based bulbs are 450-1000hrs. LED is 30 000+ hrs

B. Halogen dims over time, LED will not

C. Manufacturers recommend changing halogen bulbs every year, not LED

Scott... We may need to change your name to "Lighthouse" :P ! ...Or at least on the line above your avatar pic...

hahaha.....sadly its true. Shouldn`t need to take pics though, should be able to see me from there :P

Yes Jay, along the same lines as those. Pretty much the same it appears, different chipset from what I can tell though.

Because of the steering design old fs Chevs are known to crack the frame at the steering box. A couple years ago I posted pics when I installed a frame to cross-member brace at the steering box. That was an Off Road Design part on the rear side of the front cross-member. Last night I finally installed the braces on the front side. The gray one is the other half of the kit from Off Road Design, and the black one I took off the '86 K35 I bought for parts, this design was only installed near the end of the production run of this generation of trucks. 15 years ago when I first put this truck together I had the weld-on frame brace installed as well. Basically instead of the steering box trying to twist the frame leveraged against the cross-member, the torque is transmitted to the cross member, no twisting.

Another couple of parts of the shelf, off the To-Do list, and the truck is stronger!

post-247-0-00323700-1389836556_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-82596600-1389836563_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-08393400-1389836571_thumb.jpg

the dealership ordered a new heater core for my Heep and I get to take it in for another appointment to get the same leak fixed(this will be appointment # 4)

What happened to your heater core? You are having a lot of issues with this Jeep - was it built on a Friday afternoon? :smiley-sad058:

Sprucing the old beast up. The 5+ yr old WARN sticker was well abused. It cost me more to get the new sticker here than the sticker itself!

And it never takes '10 mins' to do anything. Peel the old one off with a razor blade (one-edged). Clean the windshield a bit. Line the new one up. Stick it on. With a truck this wide you sit on the hood, and hope it doesn't collapse! They made them strong.

And oh, when re-installing the blades had to ty-wrap the flimsy old latches.

40 minutes later........... And Scott, adding photos seems much quicker.........

post-247-0-62119200-1390185585_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-32831300-1390185591_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-06069600-1390185597_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-68461300-1390185603_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-29872000-1390185610_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-89291700-1390185616_thumb.jpg

Looks good Eugene! Decal is on top of the glass? Ever consider a reverse cut decal and placing under the glass to avoid abuse of the wipers / elements?

Thanks for the feedback RE: uploads!

BTW, this was done yesterday, not today! lol. And I did some general maintenance that wasn't worth pics.

I do like stickers on the inside. This came from WARN, I had no say in the design!

Got the hatch support struts today. They look great and the service was awesome. I was able to add another set for Adam to include with mine. I'll follow up with pics this weekend when I install them. One thing I'll add is that Gemini Springs makes them on site! Even with $30 in shipping, taxes in it was $62.50/ set! It would have been ~$80/set without Adam paying for 1/2. Still a really good deal for custom struts IMO.

Just had the H2 in for service with Double Z.

New pitman arm, idler arm, idler arm bracket, inner / outer tie rods on both sides, new passenger side axle, and new rotors / pads up front. Also had them align the truck as it was in dire need.

Truck feels brand new, steering wheel points straight, I'm very happy... and broke.

Just had the H2 in for service with Double Z.

New pitman arm, idler arm, idler arm bracket, inner / outer tie rods on both sides, new passenger side axle, and new rotors / pads up front. Also had them align the truck as it was in dire need.

Truck feels brand new, steering wheel points straight, I'm very happy... and broke.

Any time you change any of the steering parts you have to align it! Even just one! But assuming each of those steering parts was worn, she must have steered pretty sloppily the last little while! And the dreaded death wobble! Now you can't afford beer for a while!

all that weight gotta be hard on parts eventually ...then toss in the mix them biggggg tires . more stress on fr end parts

They are known to chew up front end parts anyway (same as the 2500HDs) - the original parts were going on 95,000 km so not a surprise that they all needed to be replaced.

Moog lifetime warranty now boys... it's hammerin' time.

Archived